Calcium and my skimmer...

Peoplepc3

Reefing newb
Making the leap with my 155 to a reef tank. Before I get started, I want to make sure my water is in the right place before I add my first coral.

My calcium was low at about 320 as I was using IO salt with no added calcium or trace elements, to speak of. I have recently switched to Red Sea "Pro Reef" and have performed one 50 gallon water change to find my calcium was at 360, understandably.

I purchased pure calcium hydroxide from bulk reef supply and began dripping one gallon in my 40 gallon refugium over 24 hours. I have completed this task 4 times to find my calcium is now ideal at 420.

The problem is....now my protein skimmer is making a MESS. Bubbles all over, even out of the top of the collection cup. The water in my sump has small bubbles on top (most likely from the over-flowing skimmer). Could this be an adjustment issue on the skimmer or is this something that the calcium hydroxide has done?

Cause I know you will ask...here are my parameters

Tank is almost 2 years old with a very small bio-load / 155lbs live rock
ph-8.2
SG- 1.027
Alkalinity 13.5 (too high?) Never dosed for alkalinity - 9 stage RO/DI system as well.
Magnesium 1400
Calcium 420
Nitrates, Nitrites, Ammonia are 0

Red Sea Pro test kit used.

Skimmer is a Reef Octopus rated for 300 gallon tank.

**Merry Christmas to all!! Thanks in advance for your 2 cents!

Last edited:
I'm new and my answer is more to see if I'm right than to advise you. I'm thinking most of us use a two part system for cal & alk. ...and you need to add alk when you add calc. ..... they work together. That is why it comes as a part 1& 2 system. This is what my best LFS told me and her tanks are AMAZING. I use Reef Fusion's two part system.

I "think" you can boost the cal and bring down some of the alk... and I believe you still have room to boost the cal some more.

I also think most skimmers need adjusted as water conditions change... so yes an adjustment.

Now.... let's see how I did.

Most corals don't use a lot of calcium. Hard corals (SPS) do, but most people don't keep a lot of SPS. If your calcium is in the 300s, that is perfectly fine.

+1 biffy
The skimmer went nuts because adding the calcium supplement changed the water surface tension, which effects how your skimmer performs. Give it some time and it should adjust, but I also wouldn't suggest changing any parameter that fast, it will tick your corals off.

Finally, you don't have to dose calcium and Alk together. Many people only dose one or the other. Just dose what your tank needs

Back