calcium level need some advice

imdaring

love my reef
my new tank is doing GREAT!! the move from the 55 -90 was the best I love my new tank, I also have the algae scrubber going full blast with no skimmer at all and have had to do no water changes sense the move on June 3rd,
my water levels are sitting at

PH 8.5
nitrates-0ppm
nitrites-0ppm
KH 107.4
cal- 340 LOW!! need to get it up I have been adding purple up off and on like maybe once a week last time I checked it it was 380 one week ago should I use liquid calcium or stay witht he purple up?? and how often, Im going out of town Thur and wont be back till Sunday and I have 2 of my sister inlaws coming over to check on the tank

You need to do a PWC every one-two weeks, regardless of how well your water tests. PWC in addition to taking out dirty water it also replenishes nutrients and trace elements in the water that your corals and livestock use up. PWC will also help to raise your calcium levels.

+1 Brian. Water changes will replenish the calcium in your system. You still may have the need to dose calcium to get it to the proper levels. Test your premade salt water to see where its calcium level is at and adjust accordingly.

according to the studies done with algae scrubbers water changes can be cut back and not done as often? they will help feed your tank, there is a link on it on the DIY https://www.livingreefs.com/mega-powerful-nitrate-and-phosphate-remover-diy-t16734.html I'm sure you have seen it though, I might just have to do a water change B/4 I leave tomorrow JIK I dont want the levels to drop any more then were they are now

You need to do a PWC every one-two weeks, regardless of how well your water tests. PWC in addition to taking out dirty water it also replenishes nutrients and trace elements in the water that your corals and livestock use up. PWC will also help to raise your calcium levels.

according to the studies done with algae scrubbers water changes can be cut back and not done as often? they will help feed your tank, there is a link on it on the DIY https://www.livingreefs.com/mega-powerful-nitrate-and-phosphate-remover-diy-t16734.html I'm sure you have seen it though, I might just have to do a water change B/4 I leave tomorrow JIK I dont want the levels to drop any more then were they are now

I understand the concept behind the scrubber and why you don't need to do water changes in terms of water quality of excess nutrients and such. The infrequency of water changes will also attribute to the depletion of trace elements, calc, alk, mag, etc. Adding new water with a fresh salt will replenish those vital elements which every tank needs. So the algae scrubber is a very good thing you still should do water changes like normal.

not disagreeing with you
I understand the concept behind the scrubber and why you don't need to do water changes in terms of water quality of excess nutrients and such. The infrequency of water changes will also attribute to the depletion of trace elements, calc, alk, mag, etc. Adding new water with a fresh salt will replenish those vital elements which every tank needs. So the algae scrubber is a very good thing you still should do water changes like normal.

Dave is right, when they say that you don't need to do water changes with an efficient algae scrubber they are assuming that you are using buffers to replenish those trace elements. calc, alk, mag, strontium, molybdenum, iodine, etc. These are all trace elements that your corals/inverts use up and need to be replenished into your system by some means whether it be water changes or buffers. The algae scrubber doesn't replenish them.

Here is a nice calculator for Alk, Calc, and Mag. and how much buffer you need to add to achieve desired levels:
'Reef Chemistry Calculator FV'

Yep, we do water changes for two reasons: To take bad stuff out, and to put good stuff back in.

Your algae scrubber may remove the need to do water changes to take bad stuff out, but you still need to address how you are going to put good stuff back in without doing water changes. That's where dosing comes into play. Doing water changes with a good salt is easier and cheaper than testing for parameters and measuring out additives.

Also, Purple Up is not to be used as a calcium supplement. It's just not strong enough to maintain calcium levels in a tank. It's meant to be used as a coralline growth accelerator, so if you are using that to try and raise and maintain calcium, you are better off switching to a real calcium supplement like Kent Turbo Calcium or something similar.

Last edited:
Back