Calcium Q

beancntr

Back into Salt
I am looking at starting to add corals, so I took my water down to my lfs to test for calcium. They said it was 500. I've never dosed with anything (I try to stay away from chemicals). Is there a way to bring it down and how do I keep it from getting that high? Isn't ideal 400-450? Is 500 too high? I'm looking at keeping leathers and maybe some mushrooms. I do weekly water changes of about 10 gallons. All readings 0, ph 8.3.

You are fine with 500. watch your ph and alkalinity and once the corals are in you are running high enough that you should not need any additions soon. just keep an eye on things and test to see what happens after you add corals.

Yea what john said. LOL What kind of salt are you using? 500 is fine thats what mine is at but mine was due to a accidental overdose.

I don't know yet reef. The lfs around here really really bite. There isn't much of a selection. I'd like to get some blue shrooms, a bubble, and some leathers. I've read that frogspawn are difficult, so probably won't do those yet and maybe eventually a hammer. These are just hard to find that look healthy and aren't extremely overpriced. I'd order online, but I'm not home during the day to receive it. Xenia and Zoos don't really do anything for me...at least the ones I've seen around here.

Bobby - I read about your little accident. I'm glad everything turned out ok and your tank made it through. That sucks! How's the nem? Did you name it?

No I didnt mane him yet. He's still alive but doesnt really look good and I dont think he has eaten anything in a long time. Just a waiting game now to see if he'll pull through.

I'd like to get a clam - but won't anemone's eat clams? I'd rather have an anemone than a clam. How's yours Yote? Did you name it? My hubby got me a sandsifter and named it Twinkle! LOL
I do need to post pictures again. I've rearranged my rock. The fishies really seem to like the new arrangement. I need Bobby to walk me through how to do it again. I also have a Mac, which this site isn't really friendly to, so I have to email the pics to myself, pull them on the laptop and then post them. It's an ordeal!!! But I will do it soon.
Thanks for all the advice.

My clams doing great,If it would ever decide the stay at least a couple of inches off the glass.I can actually tell that its a growing,and naw,I aint named it yet.
I hadnt read anywhere about anemones eatting clams either.I have 2 small rock anemones and the BTA (that was in my 30) in the 55.Planning on adding a Rose tip BTA when the guy brings it to me.
I honestly think you'd be alright with clams and anemones both in the same tank.

beancntr said:
"I've read that frogspawn are difficult, so probably won't do those yet and maybe eventually a hammer."

I have a Torch and a Frogspawn... both have been pretty easy to keep. As a new reef keeper I have found that my Torch is actually less temperamental than my colt. My torch started out small 4 heads about 3 x 2 inches... it was closed up tonight (my apparently broken heater overheated my tank to 90˚) and I counted 10 heads! My frogspawn is started with 2 heads and after only a month and half I have 4. I definitely recommend these corals even for novices :)

Thanks! I appreciate it. Maybe I'll go shopping this weekend...hehehehe I wish there was more of a selection around here.

This may sound dumb, but how do you all go about actually putting them in the tank and moving them if you need to? You can't touch the actual coral, right? Aquarium tongs?

Place the corals you buy will depend on their lighting needs,I would start low, then move them up to where you like and where they will get the flow/light they need.With your light ,softies bottom half,LPS top half,as the general rule but not always the case.

As far as handling the coral,don't use aquarium tongs,you would probably damage the soft tissue.Buy a box of latex(non powdered) gloves from the drugstore.Pick up the coral from the base or the rock its attached too.I only use gloves when handling zoos,I should use them more often but I don't.

Post the coral you pick up and we can give you idea of placement etc.
Happy hunting!

Last edited:
I agree with Reef,Start your corals low and over 3 or 4 weeks work them up to where you want em.
As for touching them,You should use the latex gloves.I usually try to keep golves around just for my corals,but slip up at times and dont use em.
Just be sure to wash your hands good before and after you handle them.Dont rub your eyes or pick you nose while handling corals. That can be a bad thing.

I use my hand and pick up corals anytime I need to move them, but you should use gloves. When your ready to post pics LMK and I'll help you.

Back