Calcium too high?

Mikek

Reefing newb
Just wondering at what point the calcium level is too high for coral (or fish). I only have some Zoas, Shrooms, and a Kenya (in additiona to my fish), but I intend to add more coral. My calcium was optimal for the longest time, but I recently upgraded my tank, and when I tested the water a few days later the calcium was at least 520. Should I be concerned? The Zoa and Kenya don't seem happy, not really opening up, though the shroom is living large.

Thanks in advance for the input!

Natural sea water, I believe, is 460-480. Thus, 520 is high, and could be part of the problem. What are all of your other perameters, lighting, placement, etc...and how long has your tank been set up?

Just wondering at what point the calcium level is too high for coral (or fish). I only have some Zoas, Shrooms, and a Kenya (in additiona to my fish), but I intend to add more coral. My calcium was optimal for the longest time, but I recently upgraded my tank, and when I tested the water a few days later the calcium was at least 520. Should I be concerned? The Zoa and Kenya don't seem happy, not really opening up, though the shroom is living large.

Thanks in advance for the input!

What do you consider optimal? What did you do that made your calcium jump to 520? From the coral you have listed, there is no need for dosing as regular water changes would be fine.

Double check your test. It is a simple test but i catch myself day dreaming of what next to do with the tank and opps, what count was that? Cross referance with a local reefer if possible as im sure the lfs wont test for this.

By optimal I mean it was about 420, my other params are 0 amm, 1.024 Sal, 0 Nit, 8.0 pH. This was after a 50% water change, so it may have been from my homemade saltwater, or maybe my test fluid has just gotten old (when it was good, I was only testing once every few weeks or so). I figured if the high calcium was indeed a threat, I'd give it a couple of days, test again, and if still high I could do another change. I just wasn't sure how dangerous 520 was.

Just rechecked, looks to be about 460 now. I'll check again in a day or so, but I'm thinking it was a drop counting issue. Still trying to figure coral situation out. They have only been in the new tank about a week, so it could just be adjustment, also noticed heater was set a little low, maybe too cool in the tank...I was just concerned when I saw the high Calcium...thanks again all...

You really shouldn't be doing that large of a water change on an established tank. 20% is as high as I'd comfortably go.

It was more a change with my old water, as I was adding the fish to the new tank, I replaced about half of its water with the water from the old tank to help with acclimation.

Back