came home my tank is 90deg

mojuave

Reefing newb
ok so it was a beautiful day today but i have my coal stove running. harder to stop just easier to let it burn but the weather has been really up and down here one morning frost next is t-shirt weather. Anyway 78 degrees in house and tank is showing 90 degrees WHAT DO I DO????? I tried ice in baggies but now out of ice and they melt real quick. fish seem fine

I agree, unplug your heater, it may have gotten stuck...there's no way the temp can get that high with the surrounding temp only being 78°.

I unplugged the heater opened the window(6FEET AWAY) and opened glass tops. I'm hooking up the ro/di system to run in cold water is that safe??? it will be adding water to 45 gallon sump not display

Does the water feel like its 90? If you have a digital thermometer, that could be on the brink and reading the wrong temp. But I do believe that the heater is stuck and cooking your tank.

I unplugged the heater opened the window(6FEET AWAY) and opened glass tops. I'm hooking up the ro/di system to run in cold water is that safe??? it will be adding water to 45 gallon sump not display

That will mess up the salinity. Since you will be diluting the salt water already in your tank.

well checked calbration on my thermo (no not digital) but wont drop below 41 degrees so I pulled out my digital cooking thermo and tank is 89 degrees

I would keep the house set at 78 degrees to keep the tank at a more steady temp. At least until you can get a new heater up and running.

Heaters are the most likely piece of aquarium equipment to give out.

stove is a furnace in the basement with air ducts I don't think thats an issue. Room is 78 so I am more inclined to go with faulty heat unfortunately I have two and they are both showing green lights (not heating) of course they both feel like tank so IDK which one could be bad they are both only 2 months old. I have ready ro water in bucket on porch cooling down and I'm just gonna dump in (salt good on it) then remove 5 gallons and cool that until i bring the temp down

Do you have MH lights? I doubt they'd be cooking it that much, though.
With heaters, it's a smart investment to get a controller (like a ranco controller). If the heating probe senses the temp increases outside the limit, it physically shuts off the power to the heater, so there's little to no chance of malfunction.

Dont try and bring down the temp really fast!!!!!! That will put everything into a major shock. Just leave it alone and let it cool down on its own, that is far far far safer for your livestock.

Is it possible that you have a damaged pump? Once I noticed the heat in my tank was slowly going up (not 90 degrees :shock:) and found out that my protein skimmer was plugged in but not running -- the impeller was fractured so the pump got really hot. :?

check all you equip and find if something is not working right. Basic rule that the tank will run 10 deg either way of what the ambient temp is so if your room is 80 than the tank running at 90 is totally possible. Check your stuff, limit your lights and increase you evaporation

Ok so here is an update. My tank is 81 degrees. I allowed the temp to drop on its own and all my fish are fine, actually one of the black/white striped damsel had looked like white chunks on fin is gone now. All I did was unplug my heatets, I checked all motors non seemed warmer than the next, I did the water in bucket test on one heater and temp remained at 79 so I reinstalled in sump the other one is still out of tank untested. Now as far as room temp that is under control at 70 degrees.

Back