Can I just use distilled water...

Thats what I been using for top off since I started the hobbly.I just use the RO water out of the machine for water changes.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but quick question about water... :)

Is it ok to use water that is charcoal filtered, micron filtered, and ozonated for water changes? Or would it be better to use just straight distilled water?

I've been using good water with added minerals but it's getting too expensive to do water changes. I have RO water for top off but it is a drinking system so I imagine it isn't too effective. I am considering switching to another type that is 64 cents a gallon but there are 3 kinds: distilled, spring, and drinking water from Wal Mart. I'm not sure which is the best for water changes.

Wanna,
I use the wal-mart brand distilled water.But I also use the straight RO water out of the machine.Mainy because its on 33 cents a gallon and I do a 15 gallon water change once a week.

Thanks Yote..

For some reason the Wal-Mart's around here don't carry that RO machine, I have looked at several stores and asked around. So, I'm only left with buying it by the gallon. I want to keep all the minerals and nutritional value within the water so I'm trying to decide which would be best between distilled, spring, and drinking water. The Spring water has 2% calcium while charcoal filtered, micron filtered, and ozonated so I'm leaning toward this one.

Dont use the spring water.Stay with the distilled.
The only and only time I used the spring water I had a huge algae bloom.1 gallon of spring water for topoff caused me 2 months of 40% water changes a week in my 30gal.

Oh wow, okay will do.

I have been using Hinckley Springs purified water with added minerals. It is purified by RO, filtered, and ozonated. But at $1.50/gal I am trying to find a more value happy route.

Does anyone know if distilled water still has all the same minerals and attributes as normal RODI water?

I thought it was just for any metals, chlorine, etc. I'm thinking that if I use distilled I would have to dose trace minerals. I'll stick with distilled I guess since there are no issues with it.

Minerals are salts. RODI water takes out TDS (total dissolved salts/solids). RODI water doesn't contain any trace minerals. But the salt mixes do, so when you mix up salt water you get your trace minerals. You don't need to worry about dosing top-off water, since ONLY water evaporates, not the minerals that are in it, they stay behind.

Distilled water as I understand it does not contain any minerals at all, that is why you have to use distilled in Irons and Humidifiers, so that no mineral deposits clog up the mechanics... If you put regular water in an iron to iron clothes, you will end up with deposits clogging up the steam vents...

Back