Can I keep sps with this?

beeguiles

they call me fish geek ;p
This is the light I ordered for my 10g tank. It says it 72 watt output so that would be like 7 watts per gallon right? I'm pretty sure ill be able to keep anything with that much light but I just wanted to double check here. I want to be able to keep sps in there and are there any clams that stay small enough for a 10 gallon. Hopefully its going to be a very open looking tank with lots of space on the sandbed. The only thing going on the bottom is the plate coral so far and maybe a clam if it is permitting. If not its not a big deal bit I saw these gorgeous clams at my lfs.

Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting

I think a crocea clam would be fine in there. You can get them when they are very small. I had one in a 3 gallon pico tank for a long time.

On the clam subject, dont be tempted to get those really cute, really tiny maxima clams. They need a steady diet of phyto and other micro stuff to survive past the baby stage. To feed them enough at that size would crash your tank. Once they get about 3 inches, they can live off of light alone. Which sucks, because they are so cute when they are that small.

Yea that does suck. I saw some at the store and they were really tiny. Does that go the same for small crocea clams?

The owner of my LFS has told me to stay away from all the mini clams. With pretty much any of them you want them to be 3 inches or larger

Do they grow very slowly?

This depends on the clam, my Derasa grew a good inch in a couple of months, before the majestic angel I had decided to develop a taste for clam. I have a crocea now that is about 4 inches, and it seems to be growing slower - but they also don't get nearly as large as maxima's or derasa's

I have only kept croceas, but have always had good luck with them. The smallest one I had was only an inch long, but I had it for a year before I gave it back to the LFS. Croceas are the easiest clams to keep, IMO.

Great! I really wanted to have enough light to be able to house whatever coral I want in this tank. It may be small but I want it to have lots of cool corals.

I have the next size 30" Odyssea on my 20 gallon. Thanks for thr info on your thread! Only thing about the light is they place the 2 10K's and 2 actinics next to one another. Haven't opened up the light yet.

Last edited:
Yea you can prlly switch them around yourself. I didn't try I just put the light on the tank the way it is. I hope you enjoy yours. I like mine so far.

You can switch the bulbs around, but the switches won't be controlling the 10ks and the actinics separately. They will now each control one 10k and one actinic.

Back