Can someone explain the dif?

RyanG

Reef enthusiast
I understand the difference in Fluorescents and metal halides, my question is whats the difference between the different types of fluorescents. I have your basic two flourescent bulb hood on my planted tank<i realize its a salt forum> but what are t5s PC, compant fluorescents, is a ballast just a power booster just kinda lost I guess, never took the time to learn about lighting other that the bare minimum. I know dumb questions.

well PC and is power compact fluroescents and lets out more lumens per regular fluroescents while T5 lets out even more and are very bright, not as much as halides, but they have their advantages when it comes to bulb cost and heat/evaporation

to further explain the bulbs, the t# stands for the number of 1/8th of an inch in diameter. the t5's are 5/8ths of an inch t8 are 8/8ths or 1 inch in diameter. T5's give off more lumens per watt versus the T8's.

PC stands for Power Compact they give off more light than t8's but not as much as the T5's.

As for the ballasts, they pretty much do the same thing as the ballasts for MH bulbs or any gas discharge bulbs do. It starts the bulb and then holds a specific amount of current to keep the bulb going. Ballasts need to be for the specific bulb type and wattage.

Brian

not dumbass at all. Now as far as choosing lighting for your tank.....PC's are decent, but expensive to replace bulbs. T8's really limit what you can do, and T5's are pretty much your best bang for the buck.

Can anyone recommend a site for a fixture of T5s for my 29gal(30 inch) I know the light spectrum is different for my tanks and yours but i can figure that out myself. Im on like a $150ish budget. Any change of an upgrade for that kind of cash?

Back