Bulb temp / wattage / kelvins / oh my!!!

hingreef

Reefing newb
Have had a saltwater tank for 1 year or so now. Well finally upgrading to a good size. Its a 48x24x25. Round about 120 gal. We're doing all the planning now... choosing equipment, exc.

Would really appreciate some help with a few lighting ?s we have. We have a canopy & the top is approx 10 inches from the top of the water. We would LOVE to do metal halide combo w/ either PC, T5, or VHO.

From what I've read, our best bet looks like it would be a retro fit. Looking @ something similar to that below. I'm not sure what our best bet will be. I guess my question is : with the metal halide bulb & the comact flourescent what is a good color / temp bulb combo??

4' RETROFIT 2 METAL HALIDE & 4-65 WATT COMPACT FLUORESCENTS, Hamilton Technology Corp. - SalesAquarium supplies&Aquarium lighting by Hamilton Technology

Here is 4 options ::

Aquarium supplies&Aquarium lighting by Hamilton Technology

Not sure if we want/need 4 bulbs or 2 bulbs along w/ the MH & what wattage they should be... I want to be able to house clams, anemones, exc.

Any suggestions? or pics of what you have running & what temp / watt / exc bulb type that it is... :]

Thank you!!!! :sfish:

All the kits you have shown dont have aglass panel to stop harmful rays going into the water, and water splashing the bulbs, and if it splashes a MH when its hot........... boom.
I have an Odyssea light, basically plug and play, and what you buy is what you get, i have replaced ballast for MH and MH light and T5's, but its a great fixture.
Check em out:
Odyssea Metal Halide System

It all depends on how much you want to spend.

How about some metal halide pendants/ballasts. You can probably get those cheaper than the fixture and more what you want.

I think the one marcah suggested is a better alternative, the T5s will give you more choices as far as bulbs colors go.

All the kits you have shown dont have aglass panel to stop harmful rays going into the water, and water splashing the bulbs, and if it splashes a MH when its hot........... boom.
I have an Odyssea light, basically plug and play, and what you buy is what you get, i have replaced ballast for MH and MH light and T5's, but its a great fixture.
Check em out:
Odyssea Metal Halide System

It all depends on how much you want to spend.

The kits he posted don't require a glass shield, they're single ended MH (mogul-style) bulbs and the UV shield is built into the bulb casing. Also he's trying to retrofit the kit into his canopy, the odyessa's won't fit in there.

The kits he posted don't require a glass shield, they're single ended MH (mogul-style) bulbs and the UV shield is built into the bulb casing. Also he's trying to retrofit the kit into his canopy, the odyessa's won't fit in there.

Maybe i should read!!! :frustrat:

Back