Can you help me identify this species of sea star?

betsbabe

Reefing newb
Hi, everyone. Recently I recovered a sea star from our local beach in Sullivan's Island, SC (Atlantic). We took it home, and set him up in our salt water tank. I've been trying to figure out his speciesso that I can make sure that I'm properly feeding him, and I'm also curious to learn more about the species itself.

If you can offer any insight or information, it would be greatly appreciated!

Top View
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Bottom View
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Probably not a great idea to take stuff out of the ocean to put in your tank. I don't know the type of starfish. But you cannot put him back in the ocean now.

Sorry, I don't know. There are so many different types of stars, and if it was collected off the coast of SC, it's probably not a reef species.

It's not a good idea to take animals from the wild if you don't know what they are, or how to take care of them.

Welcome to the site. True it's not the best thing to take things you're not knowledgeable about but since it's too late now just watch him and make sure he doesn't start munchin on your corals if you have any. If he does you may have to put him in a isolation tank.

It looks like a Forbes Sea Star (Asterias forbesi) to me. I have to agree with the folks who discouraged you from removing animals (alive or dead) from their natural habitats.

Back