can you make a sump with out drilling

ncozac

Reefing newb
can you make a sump with out drilling your tank I have 130 gallon salt water fish tank and it is tempered glass so I am unable to drill it can I do another it with out drilling it please help

You can use an overflow box. Thy hang on the top a siphon the water down to the sump. Your tank should only have tempered glass on the bottom the sides should not be tempered they would be to rigged and brake under the water pressure, or if a rock it it it would shatter dumping 100% of the contents on the floor, where regular glass would crack and leak much slower. So it would be odd if the front back and sides of your tank were tempered.

but with the over flow tank on the side will it drain if the power goes out? if so is there away to stop it from flowing out?

Yes there is a way
You drill a hole in the siphon tube below the water line in the display tank. The hole will brake the vacuum stoping the tank from draining. You just want to make sure you drill the hole at a level that is below the normal fill level of your DT but above the the level that will overflow your sump.

Not all tanks have tempered glass on the bottom, and some do have tempered glass on the front/sides. I can't remember the name of the manufacturer but all sides on their tanks are tempered.

With the overflow box, the water will stop draining after the water in your display drains to the level of the overflow box itself.

Back