Candy coral

cumminz

Reefing newb
I got 1 of these yesterday with 2 heads on it. I have 260 watt pc with a koralia #4 and another smaller powerhead. It doesnt look like it is opening up. Also, they are carnivores right? Will it eat phyto? Cuz i think i was told to feed my zoas that as well

Zoa's don't need feeding they get all they need from light and stuff floating in the water. i've never kept a candy before so im unfamilar with em. someone here will pipe in. This is in your 10g im assuming? did you get the tank used? if so how old are the bulbs? im not sure what lighting they require, i'll do some searches.

they are low lighting corals and will be fine under pc's, also they can take up to a week to fully open, they have to acclimate to the light

No this is on my 50 sorry i forgot to mention that. The bulbs are used, but i hear they need low light and low flow, If so, wanna buy them newb?

yeah i just read moderate flow and lighting and will do fine with a 65 watt light over a 25g tank so i would think 260watt over a 50g would be enough. where do you have them placed in the tank? high or low near the substrate?

What exactly are you asking me if i want to buy?

HAHA im kidding man. i love it. It is in the middle of my tank. Is too much light for it bad or should i not worry cuz Dustin said it may take a week to open.

yeah it may take some time i would give it a week before really gettin worried i've just never had a coral take longer than 6 hours to open in my tank. The middle should be ok for it under halides i'd have it at the bottom but i'd leave it there and see what happens, someone who has experience with em may say different though.

Naw i was just askin cause i wasn't sure if you askin if i wanted to buy the 10g tank or the used bulbs or the coral, LOL.

start that coral toward the bottom of the tank to get it used to the light. I have mine under T-5 lighting and it is midway up the rock work. It does great. I took a week for it to be on the bottom before moving it up the reef. Even though they are carnivores, they do not need to be hand fed. I just make sure there is sufficient water flow and the food I feed the fish give it the filter feeding nutrients it needs to live. It is really easy to keep. Good luck. Please ask any other questions you have about your corals. :Cheers:

-Doc

I have mine under T5's half way up the tank. It took them a few days to open. I do feed mine now and then. You really don't have to but I like watching them get really fat. Mine is starting to get a new head.

They will extend their feeding tentacles at night, after you turn the lights off. They will eat meaty foods, not so much phyto, but stuff like krill, brine or mysis. I have three different colonies of candy canes in my tank, one that has 20+ heads of pink, one that has 1 head of blue, and another that has 30+ heads of brown/green. I never used to feed them, but once I started, they began to bud off a new head every other week or so. I now hand feed them after I turn the lights off every other day or so. I think that if you do this, you will see sooo much more growth from the candy canes. For example, I had the one solitary blue head for at least 6 months, and it never grew, never split. I started feeding it every other night, and within a few weeks it had started to split.

You also don't need to feed your zoas phyto. They will get enough nutrition from the lighting and I think that if you are adding phyto for your tank and all you have are zoanthids and candy canes, you are just adding nutrients (nitrates, phosphates) to your water and can end up with algae problems.

They will take full sized mysis. Mine take full sized pieces of krill. Once they grab ahold of it with their tentacles, it only take about 15 minutes for mine to "swallow" the whole piece.

Damn, i guess i really need to start watching my tank at night. My lights are about to go in do u think their tentacles will still be out?

Don't know. I have NEVER seen the tentacles on my brown/green candy canes. And I have had that colony for over two years. My pink and blue ones have their tentacles out like clockwork, every single night.

So, I have never been able to target feed my brown/green colony, but nonetheless they have still grown and split a lot.

Well, i will go look at mine now and see if they are open. I Will also check tonight. Also, is there a specific calc. requirement for them or whatnot? Anything else u can tell me about them?

Try to keep your calcium levels around 300 to 400 for a mixed reef tank. It shouldn't be hard to maintain, as candy canes don't take up a lot of calcium (well, compared to an SPS tank, for example).

Nothing much else to say about them, they are a great, hardy coral. One of my favorites.

Back