Canister filter question

fastzorro

Reefing newb
I have a canister filter, 3 level, 45 gal tank, no sump. I have black foam on one level, Biomax on 2 and white fuzzy on top. Question is how much biomax should I use. I also heard canister filters are not good cuz they create nitrates???

I wouldn't use that canister filter. They collect the waste inside them, like they are made to do, and release nitrates back into your water unless they are thuroughly cleaned at least weekly. The best thing to do is to find yourself a skimmer and get rid of the canister.

Yep, canister filters if not cleaned regularly can build up detritus, so when you do go to clean it and you dislodge the gunk, it can cause a spike. Also biomax balls can collect detritus and all kinds of other crap, which they need to be switched up a bit. So all in all they aren't the best, unless you just want them to run carbon after a bad mishap.
So if you have the money i would suggest getting a HOB Skimmer.

I got NINJA'D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :pissedof::pissedof::pissedof::pissedof::pissedof: Hehehe

Its basically a filter that creates bubbles that trap all the crap in your tank, and its collected in a waste cup that you clean out a few times. Go for Reef Octopus, the best kind and great money wise too!! :D

Do not throw away that canister filter just yet! Yes if you leave them hooked up 24/7 they will become a detritus trap unless you clean them out every 3 days and that would get old fast. If, however, you ever get a spike in some toxin in your tank, like phosphates, nitrates, ammonia, a pureed anemone (yes its happened) and even to some extent copper then you could hook your canister -with the right media- and run it for 24 to 28 hours and really solve a big problem. In such a situation I would also do water changes.

Then I have a pretty good skimmer on it now (sorry, was thinking about something else). So your saying not to have a filter at all, just the skimmer? Would the skimmer get all the gunk out like the filter would?

Last edited:
Yes it absolutely does. The thing that makes the skimmer better than the filter, is the filter keeps all that junk in the flow of the water, the skimmer collects everything in a cup, out of the flow of water, completely removed from the system.

Yes it absolutely does. The thing that makes the skimmer better than the filter, is the filter keeps all that junk in the flow of the water, the skimmer collects everything in a cup, out of the flow of water, completely removed from the system.

Erin, I disagree (if I understand you right). While skimmers are a very good way to help with water quality they will not alone get all the gunk (proteins) out. Only a combination of things can elimnate nitrates and phosphates. (Proteins will break down into 'trates). I have a 29G with NO skimmer and my 'trates are consistently zero.

If I remember his set up correctly, he has no sump, no fuge.
I wasn't saying you need a skimmer. And I don't think you need one on a 29 gallon tank.
What exactly are you disagreeing with?

I think for many systems, a skimmer alone is enough to keep the nitrates at zero. Just like for many systems just a fuge or nothing at all is enough. Some will need both. It just depends on the individual system and its unique setup and contents.

Have a 45 gal tank....I have been changing the water 25% now every day for a 2 weeks. NO3 is still at 30PPM, oh man! Keep changing?

1 leather, 2 2.5" tangs, 1 foxface, 1 hammer, 1 coral tree, 1 2"coral dollar, 2 skunks, 1 fire shrimp, 3 dusters.....Been feeding very minimal since NO3 spike.

Back