Canister filter VS Sump system

Charliegrs

Reefing newb
I plan to start setting up a 55gal reef aquarium soon. After looking at filtration systems I noticed that sump systems are very popular, and for good reason. But for a noob like me, they are somewhat scary, due to cost and complexity. Also Im very worried about potential flooding issues. Canister filters look much more friendly to me. Im curious though, can a canister filter be used in a reef system? Or fish only? Also, correct me if Im wrong but you if you use a canister filter then your protein skimmer has to be the hang-on-the-back style correct? Because a standard skimmer sits in the sump? Are the HOB style ok to use for a reef tank?

Go easy on me, Im very much a beginner :dunno:

Skip the can and go for the sump.
They look intimidating, however, they are actually super easy.

Set 'em up and forget about them for the most part. They are self sufficient whereas the canister needs to be cleaned often (or else it becomes a haven for nitrate buildup).

You should start off on the right foot in this hobby, because as you progress, it will be much harder to change directions had you planned for it correctly to begin with.

Good luck!

+1 messiah023
Great advice. Canisters aren't much good except for polishing the water or running carbon or other media for a very short while.

BTW Welcome to Living Reefs! :regular_w

Thanks for the replies. Looks like Im going to have do more research on sump systems, since apparently thats the way to go! So does anyone know any methods to keep it from flooding? Thats the thing that has me the most scared about using a sump.

I like having a small tank with a HOB filter (looking to convert it to fuge) :D
I just can't get all the bigger awesome fish....

Thanks for the replies. Looks like Im going to have do more research on sump systems, since apparently thats the way to go! So does anyone know any methods to keep it from flooding? Thats the thing that has me the most scared about using a sump.

Sump floods can happen but if the right precautions are taken they are unlikely. Anti-siphon devices and check valves can also add extra security. Most everyone is afraid at first but they are really pretty basic. Water siphoned or drained from the display tank down into the sump and then pumped back up into the tank. The sump gives you a place to have your skimmer, heater(s), refuguium and other equipment.

Drill your tank, do it. I've seen people's overflow boxes and siphon shenanigans. Then I saw the video at glass-holes.com and it looks pretty easy and way better/safer.

+1 Dcan, also when setting up your sump, make sure to leave enough room in your sump so that if your return pump fails your sump can handle the volume of water that will come down from the DT. If you do that, it's unlikely you'll have a flood.

Sumps are pretty fool proof when it comes to flooding. If your tank is not drilled, use an overflow box. Make your own sump instead of buying one pre-made -- it will save you several hundreds of dollars.

++ on all replys

• Drill Your tank, its worth it.
  • If you don't have a drilled tank, to prevent a flood you need to have a siphon break... Wherever a line carrying water goes into/out of your tank needs to have a hole or something close to the surface of the water in the tank. That way if power is cut then once gravity starts pulling the water out of your tank (reverse Siphon) when that hole is exposed to air it will suck air and break the siphon. Preventing Flood.
  • I used a canister filter as my main source of filtration for the first 6 months my tank was set up (So yes, it works). But with full intentions of some day making the transition to full sump/fuge/skimmer filtration, which I have. :) Cannister filters still have their uses tho and can be handy to have. A canister filter with carbon can clean up nasty water pretty quick.
  • Research is Good! :mrgreen:
:Cheers:

This is a dumb question, but what actually does the filtering i a sump system? I know the skimmer does, but the live rock in a sump is that what acts like a filter as well? And you put the live rock in the refugium section right?

A sump is really just a second tank to put all your equipment (heaters, skimmer, etc.) connected to your main tank. And yes, in a sump the skimmer would do your filtration. A refugium is a sump with an extra section containing a DSB, live rock, and/or macroalgae for extra filtration/nutrient export.

Back