cannister filter

flatsout1171

Reefing newb
when i got my tank. it had a cannister filter,should i take this out of the sytem..i have a skimmer,sump,uv sterilizer,2 korilias...what do u think?

I'd get rid of it as they usually trap nitrates. As long as you have a good skimmer and enough LR you'll be good with filtration. The addition of a sump only help w/ filtration that much more.

What size is your tank? I ran an Ehim canister on my tank for about three months until I was brave enough to stop. With turning the canister filter off and switching to RODI water I have drastically reduced my nitrates. I now only have a powerful skimmer, wavemakers, fuge with its own skimmer and LR.

The conventional thinking on canister filters is that they trap detritus, it then decays into nitrates. This is the big problem with canister filters. But if you clean it out twice a week without fail it can help. Personally I would disconnect it but KEEP it around. Canisters are great for emergency situations with salt tanks. If you get an ammonia or nitrate spike or you accidentally get copper or some other toxin in the water you can hook up that canister filter full of some media and, in combination with a water change, fix a very bad water quality problem very fast.

The conventional thinking on canister filters is that they trap detritus, it then decays into nitrates. This is the big problem with canister filters. But if you clean it out twice a week without fail it can help. Personally I would disconnect it but KEEP it around. Canisters are great for emergency situations with salt tanks. If you get an ammonia or nitrate spike or you accidentally get copper or some other toxin in the water you can hook up that canister filter full of some media and, in combination with a water change, fix a very bad water quality problem very fast.

+1

I still keep a Magnum HOB canister around. I fill it with carbon and run it on the 29g frag for about 2 or 3 days - then remove the carbon basket and flush it with RO water - leave the carbon in there, just flush the slime off the basket - then slap the canister on the 30g display for 2 or 3 days. Then dump it and dry it out. Repeat monthly.

Back