Can't Believe it but i am Looking at ICH

cwis24

Reefing newb
So last night i notice the Hippo Tang and the Yellow Tang have some white spots on them, the hippo tang had more the yellow only had 3. Now i have delt with frwshwater ick but this is my first battle with saltwater ich (and i have had saltwater for 1.5 years)

So first things first, the other fish seem un affected and everyones is eating very well including the tangs. I check my water and compare to my last three readings and see little to no change. Tempature has remained constant at 78 degrees, ammonia is at 0.0, Nitrite is at 0.0, Nitrate is at 100 down from 150 from last week, I have been working hard on lowering this and have been getting more and more successful, My PH is at 8.2, this i raised from last week following the PH buffer instructions. i raised it from 8.0 in .1 incriments (pretty much raised it .1 one day, waited a day and raised it another .1 like the instructions said) My Rafroctometer had arrived and my salinity is good 1.023. Just to double check my tests i took some water to my LFP and they confirmed my findings. So Water quality is good and i am just confused. My quarentine tank is only 1 week up so i do not feel comfortable transfering these 2 fish. Except for the white spots they seem to be functioning normaly.

Any suggestion or reasoning ,

:frustrat:

Oh one thing i forgot to mention, i noticed that since i got my live rock in 2-3 weeks ago that this week (well i noticed this week) there are these tiny white things that crawl on the glass (almost look like dandruf) I called my LFS when i saw this and they said that this is normal and that Gobys eat them along with some other types of fish

1st things 1st. if your nitrates are 100 and were 150 most likely it is stressing the fish enough that their immune system has weakened and so here comes the ick. The helpful articles deal with saltwater ick in depth. I would recommend you search out those articles and read them.

If your quarrintine tank is up and running. set temp same as main and water parameters same as main, as when you treat the medicine will also kill your bacteria. i would move to quarrantine as soon as possible. You might want to consider a uv sterilizer also. could help for the long haul. good luck keep us posted on your progress

So i feel like i went crazy
THe next night all white spots were gone
I checked all weekend and no signs of any white spots
I have no clue what the hell happened.

All i know is i am working extra hard to get them nitrates down :-)

Continue on working on the nitrates but do not be alarmed if the white spots come back with a vengence. There is a 10 day cycle for ick. the ick drops off and multiplies and the new ones seek out fish to infect. a couple cleaner gobies would help. Read the following articles in the helpful article forum:

1- Page-1 - Fish Disease - Part-5 (remaining parts may be of interest also)

2- Page-5 - Parasite Treatment Main Tank.

3- Page-5 - White Spot Disease

4- Page-5 - Oodinium & Cryplocarion

These articles should give you some idea what you are dealing with and how to control it. As I do not personally recommend any one procedure over the other you use the information at your own risk. 1st step recommended is to add some cleaners and bring your water quality into line. (nitrates below 20ppm).good luck keep us posted.

Last edited:
WEll the So called ICK could have been from the Sand in your tank if you have any.

stated in one of the posts here already. HAving 100 PPM with Nitrates is not good and if you have a Sand bed well its not deep enough. to convert the nitrates to 0ppm. Or like I already stated a sand bed will take away the nitrates if its deep enough and establish for a period.

Garlic will help too. i have had great sucess with garlic and I just picked up a Huge Uv unit for my 170 gal FOWLR. And its helping alot. Keep us informed and HTH.. I would try the garlic get the gel cap's that say 1500 Mg

they work.

An Update on my situation
The white spots have come back on my hippo tang but not the yellow tang. There are fewer this time and she is still acting like her self. My Quarenteen tank has been running for 2 weeks but i fear that this is not long enough. I figure i ride it out and if things get worse i can start the quareteen. So far it seems under control.

I Have started with some garlic like suggested and i am looking into a UV

Oh and to answer the sand bed question I do not have a sand bed my sand is only a half an inch deep.

Ok then with ICK you need to wait there are times that ICk will go way in a afternnoon , and then there are days that it will take forever. My tank I'm battling ick for atleast 3 weeks now. At first it ws my Kleins butterfly then i noticed it on my Scopas tang

SO i dosed with the garlc Gel caps, OH ya DOnt buy the Garlic extremem in the bottle that they sell I think its SEA Chem or somthing its not worth its money in gold.. ya they tell you there is lots of garlic in it but no there is not alot. THe smell is there to say garlie is present that is about it....

GO to a health hut or a Walmart, walgreens and ask for Garilc gel tablets there are 1500 MG :Cheers: Or you can buy the 500mg :D Either way I always buy the 1500.

When you do get the bottle use 2-3 gels ok.

SO you will get the gel together 3 of them
cut them open and squeeze the remains of the garlic gel over say Spirlina flakes or some flake food.
let is set for a few mins with a cover over it.
Then feed it to the tank and watch the fishes go crazy for it.

OHYA th skimmer will shutdown on you so dont worry about it.. give it time 6-12 hrs then it will be back online for ya.

IT may take 1-2 days to hit these guys , depending on how much you have
go for one day with feeding with garlic 2 tiems per days or 3times.

Good Luck

HTH

ANd go buy SELCON its a vitamin that helps keep tem healthly i feed tha 3 times per week. It helps too.

cwis24 said:
An Update on my situation
The white spots have come back on my hippo tang but not the yellow tang. There are fewer this time and she is still acting like her self. My Quarenteen tank has been running for 2 weeks but i fear that this is not long enough. I figure i ride it out and if things get worse i can start the quareteen. So far it seems under control.

I Have started with some garlic like suggested and i am looking into a UV

Oh and to answer the sand bed question I do not have a sand bed my sand is only a half an inch deep.

Last edited:
Thanks a million for all this info :-)

Asmodeus said:
Ok then with ICK you need to wait there are times that ICk will go way in a afternnoon , and then there are days that it will take forever. My tank I'm battling ick for atleast 3 weeks now. At first it ws my Kleins butterfly then i noticed it on my Scopas tang

SO i dosed with the garlc Gel caps, OH ya DOnt buy the Garlic extremem in the bottle that they sell I think its SEA Chem or somthing its not worth its money in gold.. ya they tell you there is lots of garlic in it but no there is not alot. THe smell is there to say garlie is present that is about it....

GO to a health hut or a Walmart, walgreens and ask for Garilc gel tablets there are 1500 MG :Cheers: Or you can buy the 500mg :D Either way I always buy the 1500.

When you do get the bottle use 2-3 gels ok.

SO you will get the gel together 3 of them
cut them open and squeeze the remains of the garlic gel over say Spirlina flakes or some flake food.
let is set for a few mins with a cover over it.
Then feed it to the tank and watch the fishes go crazy for it.

OHYA th skimmer will shutdown on you so dont worry about it.. give it time 6-12 hrs then it will be back online for ya.

IT may take 1-2 days to hit these guys , depending on how much you have
go for one day with feeding with garlic 2 tiems per days or 3times.

Good Luck

HTH

ANd go buy SELCON its a vitamin that helps keep tem healthly i feed tha 3 times per week. It helps too.

HOpe it helps. be patience thou ok I have watched the tank go from ick to no ick in 1 day and again come back. Garlic doesnt take the ick away. It just drops the ick off the fish. Until the fish is freak out in your and my case the tangs always are there for ick..

Back