Can't introduce new fish

Phroger

Reefing newb
I have a problem with introducing new fish to the tank - they die after about a week. I drip acclimatize them for about 1 hour and then float them in a bag with the new water to make sure the the temp is equaled out. The usually is active and swimming by the next day. After about a week of watching the new fish to make sure it is eating (which they have been every time), they just seem to die. No strange signs but just dead at the bottom of the tank and usually after the lights have gone out. The tank has been established since January and water levels are as follows (tested with 2 chemical test sets):

0ppm Nitrites
5ppm Nitrates
0 Ammonia
8.2 pH

Livestock that are healthy and have been in the tank for a while are: 1 Chromis, 2 Fire Gobies, 1 Scooter Dragonet, 1 Maroon Clown, 1 Sand sifting star, 1 rock anemone, several hermits, 1 emerald crab, and several types of snails, 2 fire shrimp, 1 feather duster, and 1 flame scallop. 1 candy cane coral, 1 Australian duncan, and 1 rock covered in mushrooms. Everything listed above has been in the tank for a while and have outlived a few fish added after. Please help if you have any possible solutions as to what is killing the new fish.

Last edited:
The only fish I have ever seem her chase would be the blue/green chromis. She doesn't ever seem to pay attention to any of the new fish introduced. I also thought about that but kind of ruled it out since they are dying after the lights go out. Also, I need to mention that there are no marks on them as if something killed or was harassing them.

try using a different fish store or testing there water before adding the fish into your system? they could have a problem with their water

As sharkie mentioned it might have to do with the LFS. If they didn't acclimate them properly then you will end up paying for it. It sounds much like a pH issue during acclimation.

Also what kinds of new fish are you losing?

+1 all above

From what you have said, the fish being active and eating, having no scarring or signs of attack, and dying after a week, I would definitely think it's something with the LFS too. My only problem with that solution, however, is that if the LFS's water was of poor quality then I would think the fish would look noticeably stressed. Plus the fact that they keep dying at night is a curious coincidence. How much live rock/good hiding places do you have in the tank? What kind of equipment are you using (i.e. power heads, skimmer, sump set-up, etc.)? How many fish has it been that have died at night?

It has been 3 fish that have died. All of different varieties ranging from meat eaters (i.e. dwarf lion) to herbivores (i.e. sailfin tang). They have come from two different fish stores so I don't think that is the problem. Plus each fish store had the fish in their tanks for approx 1 month before I purchased them.

Equipment - 2 Korelea (spelling ?) powerheads - one size 2 and one size 3. An overflow with sump/refuge and an Ehiem return pump of 950 gph. Rock is approx 140 lbs and provides great hiding places with several dens and caves.

i want to say it is the clown. but cant say for shure. IME with my clown i have a very hard time adding new fish because it like to kick the shit out of anything that is added. 4 firefish, 2 purple firefish a sailfin tang(not shure about why this one died) a scooter blenny. manderen goby.

Get a 10 gallon QT and put the Clown in there. Then try adding a new fish into your main tank and see what happens. My first thought was the Clown too, and that's way I asked the question about the Clown being aggressive.

After you get all the fish you want in the main tank (providing they stay alive and you determine that it was the Clown after all) then you can add the Clown back into the main tank. Hopefully he will see it as a new home and not be so territorial.

Thank you all for the advise. I was hoping it wasn't the clown but I guess even with it just chasing the other fish, it would stress them enough not to acclimate correctly to the tank.

Back