Carbon in my sump?

tacyarts

Reefing newb
Above my bio balls I put some carbon and a few sponges and filters to catch debree, is this an ok idea or is it going to be problematic in the long run. I do this because I dont think that just a sump with a protien skimmer is sufficient filteration.

I have run carbon for years without issues but I would remove the bioballs and throw some rubble rock in its place... And clean those sponges every few days or else they will cause problems...

small pieces of broken up liverock.. alot of LFS will sell rubble rock at a cheaper price then the larger chunks...

is your tank reef or fish only? if fish only the bio balls are fine
i never had a problem with my balls building up nitrates.
This time i went with rubble rock to try something new

Bio balls will always build up nitrates unless cleaned weekly, even more so I would say in a FOWLR due to feeding. Pred tank can get messy. Just my opinion.
So if I were you I would just chuck the bio balls and replace with rubble as marcah said.

ive had bio balls for years now but have always had trouble with any corals that were not beginner level corals. I think that i will go to the lfs and see what they have to offer as rubble. thanks

I have been using the bio balls for fresh and salt and i have never had a problem. but i also like to mix it. I have Bio balls with LR rubble. the bio balls is on the top and the rubble on the bottom. and in my sump/refug I have a deep sandbed and algea and plants to get what the bio balls and rubble didnt get and i have never had a problem.

Back