carbon question

baddfish

scrubber fan!
Hi, I have another question for everyone.
Other than cleaning it and replacing it regularly, are there any cons to running carbon for long periods of time?

I hazard a guess at yes under certain conditions, running too much being one, keeping it too long for another. smaller amounts washed and scrunched after 3 days, reused for 3 days and thrown away is good, determining how much is the trick, what are you trying to accomplish? carbon removes a lot of stuff thats also beneficial

There is some evidence that running it 24/7 can lead to HLLE (head and lateral line erosion) in fish. I'm not sure if there's anything conclusive regarding that though.

according to ccCapt a while back, it's only unrinsed carbon, I think. OR basically any situations that where the grains rub against each other and generate carbon dust, which gets into the water.

I use ROX carbon all the time and change it every month. As Sarah and Amanda mentioned, there are studies being done to determine if carbon dust may be the cause of HLLE, but it's not the carbon itself, it's the particles that might be released into the water column.

Here are 2 studies that have probably more info than you want to know about carbon and it's use in reef aquariums.
Feature Article: Granular Activated Carbon, Part 1: Modeling of Operational Parameters for Dissolved Organic Carbon Removal from Marine Aquaria | Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine
Feature Article: Granular Activated Carbon, Part 2: Modeling of Operational Parameters for Dissolved Organic Carbon Removal from Marine Aquaria | Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine

There is some evidence that running it 24/7 can lead to HLLE (head and lateral line erosion) in fish. I'm not sure if there's anything conclusive regarding that though.

I read the article on HLLE and they said that running carbon tumblers seemed to be the cause of that fish disease because they put too much carbon in the water column. I can see how carbon tumblers would release carbon back into the system.

I run carbon 24/7 but I rinse it very well and then gently place it in the filtration system so as not to stir it up and release carbon. Carbon will remove toxic heavy metals. The presence of heavy metals has been tested with and with out the use of carbon and they built up to higher levels when carbon was not used. Salt mixes and food can add heavy metals to the system. Its thought that some mysterious fish and invert deaths could be caused by a build up of heavy metals.

Part 2: Is it Really in the Water? A Critical Reexamination of Toxic Metals in Reef Tanks by Richard Harker

Back