Carbon

Anyone ever use a carbon that is built into a filter pad? I was over at my friends last night and his tank was CRYSTAL CLEAR. It was amazing looking. I asked him what he did to make it so clear, and he said he started using some filter pad stuff in his wet/dry filter with carbon and all this stuff built into it. He also started using a UV sterilizer. I think its the carbon that is making the water so clear isnt it? He got it at foster and smith, but I cant find it on the website. Right now I'm running some stuff I got at the LFS, they didnt have much of a selection, but its got carbon and ammonia remover in one.

I know several people that use those pads Cory.But their kinda expensive and have to be replaced on a regular bases.

I use Marineland premium carbon with fine mesh media bags from Foster Smith. I buy the big bottle of carbon and dump about 1/2 cup into a media bag. Tie the top closed and rinse it in tap water for a second to get the dust off. Then I just drop it in the return section of my refugium. I've been replacing it about every 4-5 weeks. Haven't seen any cyano since I started doing that.

If it sizzles when you rinse it then it should be good carbon.Chemipure seems to work much better for me and last longer.

I wasnt sure of the name on the pads he has. He runs them under his regular filter because they plug up easy he said. What ever he is doing I need to figure it out, cause man, that tank was really clear. I think I need to get some decent carbon. The stuff at the LFS sucked, I got the cheap stuff, cause it was a lot bigger bottle, but its got ammonia remover in it too, I think I need more carbon. I think the only real carbon they had at the LFS was black diamonds, and it was a tiny little bottle, and seemed to be largely black dust...

I've used Black Diamond carbon. It's cheap, but it sizzles when you rinse it and it seams to work. I was running that in my canister when I first setup my tank. Water was crystal clear.

Just be sure to rinse it under the tap before you put it in the tank. Most carbon has dust and small pieces that will wash out under the tap. If you don't rinse it--you get black specks all over your sand bed. :frustrat:

Don't ask. :shock:

pads tend to suck. they are not as effective as pellets. I use Seachem pellets and the sizzle A LOT. I put it in my own media bags and drop them in my HOB filter. Just changed them today. I know it is time to change it when my tank glass in front needs to be cleaned more than once every 3 days. Takes about a month

-Doc

I'll try the black dimaonds, thats about all the LFS has for carbon, everythign else is mixed with other media, like the ammonia remover stuff that I got. I'll try the black dimaonds, I was noticing last night that the bag with my stuff I got in it is like 80% white pellets and 20% tops of actual carbon... I'll go pick up some of the black diamond stuff today. Should I bother running the stuff I got and just add the black diamonds to the filter bag? Or ditch the stuff and just run the carbon?

Back