Carbon

cthegame

Reef enthusiast
I have a question about using carbon. I am currently using the Magnum canister as my return pump and i have a small fuge in my small sump (which i will upgrade in the coming months, im thinking 40 gallon) - The tank is approx 5 month old. I only have live rock in the display tank. In the fuge i have LS, 1 LR, Macro and pods.

Can i use the magnum without any carbon or the pad and just use it as pump only? Do I have enough filtration to do so or should i keep the carbon and change it every three weeks?

I would prefer to just use it as return pump so that i have the max flow but don't know if my filtration will do without the carbon.

Thanks.

How much LR do you have?
that is waht you base your filtration needs off of ,

1/2 to 2 lbs. is enough.

So you should need 120 to 160 Lbs

Like everything else in this hobby you'll find folks who are for and against using carbon. So you need to research the pros and cons and make your own educated decision. I personally use it. I probably would switch from the pad to carbon in a bag though.

I agree. carbon pads run out FAST. I use the pellet form and it lasts for a month. I like how carbon cleans the water and keeps algae down

-Doc

Tests have shown most carbons typically sold by aquarium supply firms on and offline are typically high in phosphate and nitrate leaching. Surprisingly one of the cleanest using carbons is Calgon GAC (granulated activated carbon). It is available bulk at most online water filter and tratment supply firms. It is 10-25% of the price in bulk as at a LFS. If you do not believe my report put some of your carbon in some RODI water tested clear of phosphates and nitrates then test it again after 24-48 hours. Lots of people with red slime use aquarists "good/expensive" carbon. Pellets did not perform any better on these tests either.

Back