Carbonated Water

Waddi

Shenanigans?
Anyone heard of putting a piece of live rock in a bucket of carbonated water, to get the mantis shrimp out of his hiding place?? Just wondering if that will kill anything on the live rock. My bottle trap didnt work, little fellas to shy. :frustrat:

It will kill stuff on the rock because it's not salt water. I have heard of putting carbonated water in a turkey baster then shooting it into the hole where the mantis lives to get it out, but not submerging the whole rock.

as even Yote, our esteemed Mantis hunter, will tell you. You will never catch a mantis on the first try. Taking out the LR will work, but if you are trying to catch it, you will need to try many times and be patient. They are smart and fast. If you want to try taking out the piece of LR that he is living in, you could put it in a bucket and use a turkey baster to shoot hot water or carbonated water at him to try to send him flying out of his hole.

Oh i know he is smart, he knows exactly what im doing, when i do it, like if he sees me with some tongs, he knows its feeding time. But i SHALL outsmart him!! :D

I have faith! Yote may chime in here with some pointers along the way. I didn't read your other thread. Did you build a soda bottle fish trap?

When I had a mantis in my tank it took three frustrating tries. I did the bottle trick with food in it; faced the bottle towards the rock and turned all the lights off and went to work. Thankfully I caught him (and my skunk cleaner). And he was only an inch long. So don't give up.

I have had the bottle trap in there for three days now, with no luck. He is just not the going out type of guy iguess! :D

take a long handled fish net and set it in the tank and put a chunck of food in it every day and the mantis will get use to climing into it and eating and after a few days of this just sit by the tank and as soon as it goes into the net snatch it up. but it take a lot of patience

Back