Diamond Watchman Goby Hiding?

Emberous

Reefing newb
Hello! I have had a LED Biocube for about four months now. It is currently in a state of a bad cyanobacteria bloom and is a bristle worm breeding ground. I have started feeding every other day, and got a cleaner shrimp to help eat the fish waste and excess food. On the same day I got the shrimp I also got a diamond watchman goby to attempt to help sift through the sand and keep the sand moving so that the cyanobacteria waste (the red slime like stuff that blankets the sand) would be filtered through a filter and pump to help clear it. I drip acclimated both the shrimp and the goby in separate tanks, as they came from different systems from the same store. The shrimp is doing marvelously! Upon trying to put the goby in the tank he jumped out and landed on the floor. When I put him in the tank he instantly went through an overhang in the live rock and sat on the floor of the tank. I let him be and in the morning there was sign of the sand being moved, however I can't find the goby. I was wondering if I can't find him due to his shyness or if he has died? Some people are talking about their gobys doing the same thing, hiding for a few days (someone said three weeks) and that they just had to feed it several times. Any advice? (Also, I don't know if the goby is a male or female but I automatically referred to it as a him)

Welcome to the forum :) Sounds like he could be hiding, but I understand your concern. Could you tell us more about your tank, stock, and water parameters?

Welcome to the forum :) Sounds like he could be hiding, but I understand your concern. Could you tell us more about your tank, stock, and water parameters?
I’m actually doing a water change later today, and will test the water before and after, so I will be able to get back to you then

Hello! I have had a LED Biocube for about four months now. It is currently in a state of a bad cyanobacteria bloom and is a bristle worm breeding ground. I have started feeding every other day, and got a cleaner shrimp to help eat the fish waste and excess food. On the same day I got the shrimp I also got a diamond watchman goby to attempt to help sift through the sand and keep the sand moving so that the cyanobacteria waste (the red slime like stuff that blankets the sand) would be filtered through a filter and pump to help clear it. I drip acclimated both the shrimp and the goby in separate tanks, as they came from different systems from the same store. The shrimp is doing marvelously! Upon trying to put the goby in the tank he jumped out and landed on the floor. When I put him in the tank he instantly went through an overhang in the live rock and sat on the floor of the tank. I let him be and in the morning there was sign of the sand being moved, however I can't find the goby. I was wondering if I can't find him due to his shyness or if he has died? Some people are talking about their gobys doing the same thing, hiding for a few days (someone said three weeks) and that they just had to feed it several times. Any advice? (Also, I don't know if the goby is a male or female but I automatically referred to it as a him)

It is not uncommon for them to hide. He may of dug out the sand under your rock in the back of the tank and that is his home. You might not see him. I have had that happen many times.

It is not uncommon for them to hide. He may of dug out the sand under your rock in the back of the tank and that is his home. You might not see him. I have had that happen many times.
Well, it’s better than him having died I guess. What do you suggest I do to feed him?

Back