Cardinal Death

rdahlke1105

I'm a girl.
In case you didn't read it in my build thread, my cardinal died last night. I checked on the tank around midnight and everyone was fine then. I wake up this morning and the cardinal is stuck to the fish guard.

So this is causing everything in my brain to go in circles. He ate some mysis on Saturday, didn't eat yesterday. Water parameters were all zeros yesterday, don't know what they are today because I test at lunch. All the inverts are acting normal, which surprises me since I know they are more sensitive to water changes.

I know that the cardinals are slow swimmers and he did seem to have some issues with the flow, but he mostly stayed in the back corners or under the cave. I didn't see any indications of illness or injury. He was drip acclimated for 2 hours. There aren't any micro bubbles. So by all indications that should lead me back to parameters, but they were all zeros. I haven't gotten the reef API tests yet so those results I don't know. So the only thing I can think of was that this was stress related or he was sick when I got him.

I do have Chemi-pure and purigen in the back chambers. I had to take out the phosban because of flow. Do you know can you take out some of the Chemi-pure out of the bag that it comes in? I know one of them (Chemi-pure, phosban or purigen) you aren't suppose to, but I can't remember which one it is. If I can take out some of the Chemi-pure I would like to so I can put the phosban back in the media basket.

Ok now I'm really confused.

Temp: 79.7
Salinity: 1.025
PH: 8.0 (I had just turned the lights on)
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5

Im confused about what you are confused about, but your levels look fine.

This happened to the first two fish i had. It was bizarre, tests said everything was fine but they died overnight.

How long was he in the tank for?

Im confused about what you are confused about, but your levels look fine.

This happened to the first two fish i had. It was bizarre, tests said everything was fine but they died overnight.

How long was he in the tank for?

We put him in on Saturday, died sometime after midnight last night. With the test results, I'm confused why he would have died. Only things I can think of is he was stressed in some manner or he was sick to begin with. Strangest part is that he did eat some mysis on Saturday.

Last edited:
Is your Phos-ban in a media bag?

Phos-ban right now is sitting in the stand. I had to take it out because of flow. I am thinking that I need to take out some of the Chemi-pure out of the bag so it doesn't restrict the flow so much and put the phosban back in.

Sometimes fish just die for no reason. We have to just accept that :frustrat:
Kinda like how random things can happen to people for no apparent reason too. I'm sorry for your loss on the cardinal. The only thing I can think of is maybe he might of bit off more food than he could chew?

We put him in on Saturday, died sometime after midnight last night. With the test results, I'm confused why he would have died. Only things I can think of is he was stressed in some manner or he was sick to begin with. Strangest part is that he did eat some mysis on Saturday.

the death of a fish a few days after purchase has been attributed to cyanide poisoning. In cases that have been studied, often situations where there aren't any acclimation, stress, or water chemistry problems, necropsy reveals cyanide poisoning. It's used to illegally and unethically capture fish in many of hte 3rd world countries our fish come from. It's unfortunate, but it's almost impossible to tell after the fact if the fish was poisoned or not... until it dies.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Personally, I try to go to stores that I know buy from reputable dealers, and the mysterious deaths seem to happen less often. But like I said, it's hard to know.

Am I the only one here that every time I read the title of this thread thinks that I am going to learn that a prominent Cardinal from the church has passed?:mrgreen:

Carry on.

Back