Catching Damsels?

jayb123

Reefing newb
I put a few damsels in my tank for my first cycle, I am looking to get rid of them. Any tips for catching these little bastards? I Tried the net and that doesn't seem to work. I am looking to put some non agressive fish in the tank and want to get rid of them. Any suggestions?

jikes...damsel are really hard to catch..smart and fast..try ad feeding time..when they come close to the top...but dont know really without removing the rock

you can buy a trap or when i had my damesel me and my dad worked together i scared him out if the rock then he cauhgt it

damselfish arnt nerly as fast as firefish though i tried the trap,2people,and the food thing when he ot ich but i fed him garlic and still am and no more ich

They are little bastards, that was the only good think about my tank boiling. I didn't have to "fish" them out. Try getting them acclimated to the net at feeding time and lure them in with food. It will probably take a few days to train the little SOB's.

Some folks get a kick out of my way of catching problem DAMsels.
If all else fails,get yourself the smallest fly for flyfishing you can find.If it looks like a tiny shrimp it'll work great.Just tie the fly onto some fishing line and hook em up.

Haha, that is great Yote.

I had to take most of my live rock out to catch my blue damsel . I call Damsel's "sump fish", that's the only thing they are good for, put them in your sump to eat any leftover food.

Good one Yote! I don't think I'd be able to get my 9' TFO in the living room and present my fly well enough!

Good luck catching them. I've never been able to catch the blue damsel that I have that kills any fish smaller than it and eats any corals I put in its territory.

That all depends on the Damsel.If its so aggressive that it goes after every thing you add,then yeah get rid of it by any means necessary.
If it's not bothering anything,then leave it.

Sara.
Tie your tippet onto a little zebco rod,works great in a pinch:mrgreen:

I have a yellow bellied blue damsel in my tank. He does not bother anything - not even the ocellaris clownfish (of course, they are the Spawn of Satan themselves!!!) My tangs and angelfish push him around during feeding time. He feeds on left overs. I would move him out if you are planning on keeping smaller, less aggressive fish (firefish, gobies. pipefish, anthias, etc). Anything smaller will be toast. Especially if you have a really pugnacious bastard, like a yellow devil so something like that.

If you are dead-set to get rid of it, this method works everytime (for me anyway). It takes a bit of patience, but stick with it. take your net and put in in the water, facing your powerhead so it keeps flow of water into your net. put in a cube of frozen food (or a half a cube if you don't to add so much nutrients into your water) and it will keep pushed into the net, melting and smelling yummy to your fish. They will sneak up to the net and try to eat off the back (STAY STILL) and eventually, they will wander into the net, since the current from the powerhead is pushing all the food into the back of the net. The damsel will also get a slight push into the net when it hits the current and POW yank the little fu&%#r out of your tank and flush his nappy-ass down the toliet. It if doesn't work the first day, wait til the next day. I have never had to try it more than twice. Best of luck to you.

I have one more idea, but I will save that one on the off chance this doesn't work.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Prop a box up on a stick, tie a line to the stick place a piece of food under the box, When the fish goes in the box SMASH IT WITH A 6 LB LIVE ROCK !!

i had a yellow tailed dameslfish with a yellow tang and a sebea clown and did fine for about three months.

..............until they all got ich and died

Some folks get a kick out of my way of catching problem DAMsels.
If all else fails,get yourself the smallest fly for flyfishing you can find.If it looks like a tiny shrimp it'll work great.Just tie the fly onto some fishing line and hook em up.

yes!!!!! so glad you chimed in on this thread. bucause yes i really get a kick out of it almost want to buy some so i can try it myself

Go a head Red.
You dont have to worry about a fishing license,you dont have to worry about the ice melting in the beer cooler,and if the temps not just comfortable,,,just adjust the T-stat.

Back