CBS and clipped claw

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
My Coral banded Shrimp crawled into a fan type powerhead about a month ago and it clipped off all his antennae and one of his claws. Its amazing how fast he grew the claw back. Do all shrimps grow limbs back so fast

Yea, infact after my Peacock mantis shrimp had been shipped and finally picked it up, it was missing his right dactyl(claw/hammer). I read over some of Roy Caldwell who is pretty sure a mantis shrimp expert, and said when they molt they'll put all the energy into making a whole new claw. After the first molt, there was a small new claw. The second, the claw was about 80% fully healthy, and he started using it, and on his next molt he should have a new, full healthy claw. Other shrimps like CBS (peppermints, cleaners, etc,) will molt new appendages very quickly.

I believe all crustaceans can regrow limbs and other body parts if given sufficient nutrition.

I can't count how many times my CBS has lost claws trying to take a territory from my scissortails. Sometimes its long antennae get broken too during the scuffle.
It just grows new ones after a week or two.

I guess it never learns its lesson when it knows it can grow a new pair every time it fails.

Back