Center strap

Justinthereefer

this is bat country
Whats up everyone, the plastic piece at the top of my tank that the old stock lights sit in broke.I am wondering how to fix this,and how long do i have it looks like the glass is bowing just a little bit.

I think I read on here somewhere that happened to someone else. I think you need it or your tank could bow and possibly bust a seam and start leaking. Try contacting the manufacture for a replacement. You may need to brace it manually in the mean time, or lower the water level.

I could not give you a time frame it make take hours or weeks but you do need that strap and once they break the tank is usless for water and as I recall you can not get a replacement for that part ...you need to replace the tank

lowering the water level a bit will help take some of the pressure off but once it goes it goes big...I speak from exsperiance I had that happen to a 55gal and lets just say the downstairs apartment was not happy with the outcome....

you could help brace it for a bit with some duct tape streched over the tak front to back but this is only a temporary fix

good luck

Contact the manufacturer of the tank. They will sell you a new one and ship it out to you. In the mean time, go to the paint store and get 2 paint stir sticks. Place one on top of the brace, and one on the bottom. Attach the stir sticks with wood screws straight through the plastic part that is broke. It will hold, and since the orignal piece is trash anyway it won't hurt to screw through it until the new one comes in.

hey thinks alot guys and i have another question. I am building a sump underneath with 1/2 inch plexiglass.It measures 36 long,15 high,and 10 wide.I have two heaters in my tank,I was thinking of putting one on each end of the sump.Is this a good idea or should I leave one in the display.

all of my heaters are in the sump. Just make sure you have them in an area that has a good amount of flow.

I believe that some people have them in their overflows too.

Not sure if you fixed this yet but I cut the center brace out of my tank and replaced it with 1/4 inch metal rods and U shaped clips and then tightened it with wingnuts. Works well and never a problem with it.

Back