Chaeto in refuge

mangrove is cool but a bit tricky to keep healthy. I am trying a small fug right now experimenting.... with mangroves I have one left out of 10 over a period of about 5 months. I have an open tank in my store with a center overflow so I had put them inside my overlfow box (I thought that would be so cool to have mangroves growing out of my overlfow in the center of my tank) not the case.

I have also heard of someone that has grown tomato plants for a refug. This might just be a story because I can't seem to find any info on a tomato plant that can servive saltwater.... :D

I have been having some problems with my cheato growing. I have checked the water an it has perfect PH, DKH, nitrates, nitites etc. I have two 6700k bulbs for lighting and I have good water flow. I had one bunch and it turn yellow and got stringy, so I got another bunch and the top portion of the cheato is getting yellow again. Everyone says how easy it is to grow and I can seem to get it to grow. Please help!

I have been having some problems with my cheato growing. I have checked the water an it has perfect PH, DKH, nitrates, nitites etc. I have two 6700k bulbs for lighting and I have good water flow. I had one bunch and it turn yellow and got stringy, so I got another bunch and the top portion of the cheato is getting yellow again. Everyone says how easy it is to grow and I can seem to get it to grow. Please help!

as daugherty said you need to have nutrients in your water for it. How long has your tank been running? What do you have in it? Also the best light that I have found to work for me is a simple clip on flood light that you purchase at home depot. (bright effects 75 watt) and I leave it on 24 hours. Chaeto needs iron available in the water as well so you may need to add some of that...

I would say do not leave the fuge light on 24 hours. according to the whole thread on algae scrubbers, any algae needs to have no light at least for a few hours a day. Also put the light very close (a few inches) form the chaeto. I have 2 15 watt halogen bulbs 3 inches from my chaeto and it does grow.

Another possiblity is that very goog skimmers --rated well over the capacity of the tank-- will compete with the chaeto for the nutrients. Skimmers will take out organics that become nurtients. I have chaeto that grows but I also have a cheap skimmer.

I would be surprised if that was the actual problem. I drain my tank into my skimmer area, (my skimmer is a G3 ASM "rated for 300gl" in my 180) then water runs through my chaeto. Which grows like crazy.

I have mineral mud in the refug with my chaeto and I feed my tank frozen food everyother day. with a heavy coral feeding on sundays.

My chaeto in my fuge gets extremely slow flow rates (barely a ripple on the surface), and it gets water from my main tank (80% goes into my intake area w/ the skimmer, 20% of the dst water into the fuge) and some from my skimmer (my skimmer has 2 outputs -- one dumps into its own chamber, and the other dumps skimmed water into the fuge). That, combined w/ my CFL floodlight that's around 6500K and equivalent to 100W caused my chaeto to just grow. I also rotate it every couple of weeks. The light is around 4-6 inches from the chaeto.

I'm guilty of having light on it for 24 hours to no noticeable negative side effects. The past 2 weeks, while on vacation, I put it on a lighting schedule opposite my dst, and when I came back, I saw browning on the chaeto. I put it back to 24 hours, and within 4 days, the brown areas went away. Massive pods all over the place, too.

I looked at the study and although I did not follow all the math it seemed pretty solid. Makes you wonder if the investment in expensive skimmers are worth it.

I'm testing it right now with just an algae scrubber. Still continue to do heavy feeding. About a month in now. Nitrate and Phosphate are still zero. No film algae on front glass... Well, by 5-6 days after a cleaning on the algae scrubber, I can see some hint of algae forming on the front glass by the end of the day. That's just a reminder on it's about time to clean the scrubber. :)

i was asking my LFS about it, and as well as watching a Mrsaltwatertanktv youtube episode he stated he has never experienced it going A-sexual. I think a mix of the two would do you good to export bad nutrients. Plus if you are like all of us and check out your tank(s) daily you can tell if it starts changing colors. Just my .02

Back