chaeto questions

MYSTIC78

somewhat experienced newb
i just recieved 1/4 lb of chaeto i bought from ebay and was wondering if it will be okay to put in my main tank and if theres any problems i should watch for. i know most people put it in there sump or refugiums.

If you put it in your main tank, you need to contain it in some way. If not, it will break up and get blown all over and you will have bits of algae everywhere. You can take a clear container and punch holes in it and hang it from the side of the tank.

I used two of those suction cups with the hooks like you use in a shower to hang your bath cloth or sponge on. Hooked my container and stuck it to the back glass of the tank.

I tried having it in my DT some years ago but could never keep it alive. Then i got a hob refugium and that worked great. On the tank I have now I went with a real sump and it is even better. On my 10 gallon a made a refugium out of a tetratech pf500 ( a huge hob filter) worked wonderfully just wish I didnt use the included heater on that thing.

Many people underestimate the need for strong flow AND strong light on cheato. 250gph+ is enough. Haologen and xenon puck lights will make cheato grow like crazy,

Back