Chalky Water

pstaus

Paul
I've noticed on my last 2 water changes that after the first day of adding the salt that my RO water and it turns a murky white as if i added chalk to it instead of salt. I've been using the Instant Ocean salt and blending it for 2 days before changing it out for over a year now and this has only happened the last 2 changes.. Any idea on why i'm getting this?

Are you using the same container you've been using? It could be settled out calcium or other minerals that are getting kicked off of the side of the container and clouding up the water.
If so, it should clear out after a few hours of sitting. I suggest using a small pump or powerhead in the water container to keep it mixing for about 24 hours prior to adding.

i have the same issues with my instant ocean mix,even after 48 hours of leaving a powerhead in it still looks milky,i believe it is due to the high calcium levels,quite possible it is undesolved calcium

Thanks
I have several power heads in the container. What it is is a 55 gallan rubber maid that i use. I'm over due on the RO filters so i'll go get replacements for them.
Also, i'll quit adding calcium to the new water. After getting your replies it makes since.
Thanks again!

I don't think it's the filters. I don't see how that would cause milky water.
Are you testing the water for CA levels? Don't stop adding calcium to it if it is deficient in calcium. You may have to add alkalinity & magnesium to it as well so it doesn't precipitate out.

Back