Change of Plans

aquaaddict11

Reefing newb
Okay hello everybody you may have read my thread in the "Introduce Yourself" section that was about the 55 gallon used custom aquarium. So my dad and I were talking about it, and he looked at it closer and says that maybe I'm starting too big. I disagree, and think that it is a fine size, but however if I would like to start a saltwater aquarium I'll have to start smaller. Gotta go with what Pops says, you know?

Anyways, I've decided to go with a 29 gallon Biocube that my dad will consider as a Birthday present. Whole new deal. No sump, no plumbing, it's all there. Has anybody had any trouble with the Biocube? I've heard that there's been a few problems with the Nano Cube but not as much with the Biocube. Any suggestions?

I'll be stocking it with a pair of Clownfish, not sure which type yet though. Any Opinions/Suggestions welcome!!

The all in one setups are great for someone just getting into the hobby.
there are a few different lighting options you can get with them now so I would definitely let him know which one you want.
many people have made modifications to them as well and you can find some on this site.
But all in a;;its a great starter tank

Great thanks! Yeah I thought to myself, "If I'm going to go small, might as well go with a biocube" Hah can't wait to set this baby up. I'm going to talk to my dad about when I can order it or see if they've got any at my LFS

My first salt tank is a 27g and I already want a bigger one! The smaller one is good for practice but you will want to upgrade so if you already have the 55 I would hang onto it

I started with a 55 and after I put the rock in it I new I was going to NEED a bigger tank.

Biocube is great. But bigger is better:mrgreen:

The Biocube will NOT be less work than a regular tank --I have one. If I had to do it again I would not choose an all-in-a tank. Its a lot of work to get a BC working just right.

All in one setups are pretty nice to use! If you get a skimmer for one, I believe there's a Tunze 9002 skimmer you can fit in there.

Other than that, AIO tanks are nice. I don't like the bowfront look on biocubes though. I prefer standard rectangle dimensions.

Thanks guys, unfortunetly, i never had to 55 gallon. It was a steal, $350 for almost everything i needed. My mom and I were all for it but when we discussed it with my dad it wasn't going to happen. He would allow a smaller tank, and said he would consider the Biocube. So, i'm going with what i get, you know? This is my only option, so, i'm taking it! After I show him i'm responsible enough to do this i have a fealing he'll let me get the 55 gal if it's still available.

So I've decided to go with a pair of Clark's Clowns. I think they'll do well.

I'll make sure to let everybody know how it'll go as soon as I can get it started up! Havn't ordered it yet, though. Still need to talk to my dad a little bit. My birthday's in the beginning of April, so, I'm hoping I can get it sooner. Plus I'd be paying for the whole thing. Like, what's your deal, Dad?

All in one setups are pretty nice to use! If you get a skimmer for one, I believe there's a Tunze 9002 skimmer you can fit in there.

Other than that, AIO tanks are nice. I don't like the bowfront look on biocubes though. I prefer standard rectangle dimensions.

Thanks, yeah I don't like the look as much either, but i've heard complaints on other cubes. I've taken the Nanocube into consideration, but I've just heard to many thumbs down :/

The BioCubes are good tanks. You will be able to keep low and moderate light corals with the lights that come with them, but no high-light animals like anemones, clams or SPS corals.

You will be restricted to about 3 fish, so the pair of clowns is an excellent choice. You could add something like a goby later on down the road if you wanted.

I don't know where you're reading all these bad reviews of the nano cube but they're great tanks. Several other on the site have them and like them as well. What specifically have you heard that is bad about them?

Also JMO but, I think you should look at a smaller type of clown for an AIO tank like a Percula or Occy. The Clarkii's get to be 6" long which is a really big fish for such a small tank.

Have you looked at the Red Sea Max? I have a Nano Cube DX and a Red Sea Max. I do prefer the RSM, plus it would give you a few more gallons.

After reading reviews on both of the brands, I heard alot of people saying their NanoCube overheats and tends to have cracks in the corners :/ Is that true or possibly just a bad tank they got?

I have heard of the RSM tanks however havn't looked into them. Is there any major difference? I'm going to do some more research on it thanks for mentioning it!

I've got the HQI version NC and the temp doesn't fluctuate at all on me. And that's the model that people always say will heat up too much. Mine will have been set up for a year in march and ive seen no cracks anywhere and like I've said other then one time early on, it's never had a temp spike.

I've got a biocube 29 that i just started and i love it!!! Im also in Charleston. Tideline aquatics is a good store to go to and they will answer a lot of your questions.

Thanks for the info about the nanocube, I think I'll just stick to the Biocube though because it's the one I'm most familiar with :-)

Where is Tideline Aquatics located at? I'm near Sullivan's Island so I'm near just about everything! I'm so glad to hear we have something other than Petco and Petsmart, because those stores really aren't much help.

Tideline Aquatics is in North Charleston. Tideline Aquatics its the only good store around here! Im in mount pleasant.

If your tight on money you should do what i did. I got 7 lbs of cured live rock from tideline aquatics (about $7 a lb). Then i got 22 lbs of reef saver base rocks from bulkreefsupply.com (about $2.50 a lb). This saved me a lot of money!!! Plus 7 weeks into my tank the base rock is starting to encrust in coralline!

Back