changing tanks

WarmWaterDiver

Reefing newb
I just bought a new tank to replace my old one. I was wondering if I need to worry about my tank cycling again after disturbing the sand bed (moving the sand from one tank to the new one? Should I rinse the sand out or just dump it into the new tank?

Last edited:
You may see a small cycle.But it shouldnt be enough to bother anything.
When I changed every thing from the 55 to the 75 my nitrates didnt even spike.
To be on the safe side though.Vacuum you sand pretty good to get rid of any detritus and gas build up that may be there.

If you clean your substrate just clean it in some of your tank water, not plain water. Works best to fill a bucket with one third sand, up to two thirds water then use hands to swirls sand. You just want to put gunk into suspension so you can pour it off sand into second bucket. Pour first bucket sand into new tank and reuse water in other bucket, to rinse more gravel/sand. All your removing is any gross amounts of filth. If your water becomes really filthy before your finished with all your gravel, use some new "old" tank water. Never use fresh (unmixed) water to rinse sand as it will kill off all beneficial life including bacteria. The deeper your sand bed is the more likely you will have some cycle problems. With shallow gravel/sand usually all you have is detritus and some planktonic life, not a lot of beneficial bacterias, as the oxygen levels are too high.

Last edited:
When I switched over from he 55 to my 120 I moved everything. Used all my old sand and added some new. I never did see a cycle. Everything is doing great.

The coarser your substrate the more likely you should clean it up before transfer. Large particles move between large substrate real well. If you are using sugar particle size sand it is doubtful you will find anything in the sand (visible) below the surface but bacteria. The only way with fine substrates for anything to be below the surface is by lifeforms pulling it below the surface and by the surface being stirred up by you or the life forms, or by it being in a liquid form. It is a simple process to rinse ones sand and well worth the effort, whether someone else needed it or not.

sounds like you have received good advice. there shouldn't be a huge concern unless you are jumping from a 20gallon to a 265 or something like that! good luck

-Doc

looks like your questions were answered already. I have one question thought that may be a concern, How old is the tank? have you been vacumming it?

looks like your questions were answered already. I have one question thought that may be a concern, How old is the tank? have you been vacumming it?

My tanks only been running for about 2 years. I don't do a whole lot of vacuuming as I have lots of crabs, snails, and other clean up crew that stir the sand up nicely. My sand bed is only about 2 inches... I will probably add another 2 inches in the new tank.

just make sure that when you start taking the old sand out of the tank you will not smell a foul odor which is sulfuric acid, this is the very deadly and could wipe out your tank. you can also tell if sulfur is present in your sandbed because it is black in color and very strong odor like a sewer. if you've seen sewer and those black mud and smells, those are pretty much the same. Good Luck.

With only a 2" bed and plenty of natural life you should be fine with a move, though I would consider deeper depth, say 3" or more, up to 6" which is great, but is expensive (about 300-350 lbs of sand) and takes up a lot of tank space. However, a good DSB over three inches is more effective at filtering than Live Rock of equal volume by about 10 fold. Lots more surface space for bacteria than rock, even considering a very porous rock.

ouch, that means rotting stuff that will likely cause a small cycle. try to get it out as much as possible. I would not reuse the sand unless you wash it out in RO water. To be safe, I would use bags of live sand in the new tank

-Doc

Thanks everyone! I made the move on sunday after painting the back glass on saturday. Everything went pretty well, no sulfur odors and not too much "muck" on the bottom. I added another 2 inches of sand... some kind of new sand I'm trying out called Sun Day Gold Sphere sand put out by all seas marine inc. It's aragonite so it sounds good to me.

Last edited:
DSC_0007.JPG

sorry, not much of a photographer :)
This is it a little over 24 hours after switching tanks.

Back