changing to ro/di water

anthonyjmorale

Reefing newb
i have been using tap water in my tank. after joining this site and reading the last few days i realize i should be using ro/di water. can i just start using ro/di water for water changes or should i restart the whole tank.

Do you have any livestock?
I also started with tap (with conditioner) to cycle my tank... not sure where I read that but it was actually suggested somewhere as you would be doing a bunch of water changes.

I dont think anything in my tank is hurt by it and I have a couple fish in there now and am slowly adding.

That is just my .02$
I am still very new.

Then I am going to sit back and listen...
because it would appear we read the same guide to starting a reef tank.

I would just start using RO/DI water now, in a smaller tank it would be much easier to switch all the water out, but in a 75 I think its more of a hassel

Just as a side note, you're gonna need a lot more live rock than 20lbs! You should aim for 1-2 lbs per gallon. You can add dry rock (which is cheaper than live) and it will become live in a few weeks. And welcome!

Lots of people start off their tanks with tap water, usually because of cost and convenience. It's good that you have switched to RODI. Use the RODI water from here on out for topping off and water changes, and you will be good to go. :) Like Hannah said, it's more hassle than it's worth to try to switch out all the water.

I ordered from MarcoRocks Aquarium Products and was very pleased. I had very little breakage and they add rock to make up for it.
I went and got RO/DI water for my 40 gallon and it was a pain so I can't imagine what it would be for the 75.
Good luck on your tank.

Back