Check Valves

Not redundant....VERY useful. If you have a built in overflow, it also helps to drill a hole on the return nozzle just below the water line. Read this heart breaking thread from one of our old reefers -- he did have a check valve, however, he hadn't cleaned it in a while, and one day the power failed, and it was stuck on the open position, and he didn't have his nozzle drilled to let air in to prevent suction. This happened:

https://www.livingreefs.com/rains-pours-t28609.html

But if your return nozzle is just 1 inch below the tank's top edge then it shouldn't flood more than a couple of inches of the display tank's water?

Yes, but often the sump is smaller than the display so a couple of inches of display tank water could be several gallons, while the capacity of the sump may not be able to hold that much back flow. If you go without a check valve then make sure your sump can handle the amount of back flow before the siphon breaks. I have my return nozzle right at the water line so when my pump shuts off very little flows backwards before the siphon is broken.

+1 fish. I need to drill mine....I've got a check valve, but I always remember dcan's disaster. My tank's 125 and has 2 return nozzles. Sometimes, when I do major maintenance like cleaning my return pump and check valve, I forget to point the nozzles up, so when I unhook the check valve, water just comes gushing down from the dt lol

Yes, but often the sump is smaller than the display so a couple of inches of display tank water could be several gallons, while the capacity of the sump may not be able to hold that much back flow. If you go without a check valve then make sure your sump can handle the amount of back flow before the siphon breaks. I have my return nozzle right at the water line so when my pump shuts off very little flows backwards before the siphon is broken.

I am installing it on a 90 gallon with a 3/4 return line and the sump would be 30 gallon.

I have one return line, drilled two hole just below the water line also. I would say about a 1/4 of a inch in the water.

Make sure to aim the drill upwards so that water flows downwards through the holes. i neglected to do so and water sprayed at my ceiling! I also think I made my holes too small.

Back