Chemical Catastrophe

I am brand new to this so please don't think I am an idiot as I explain what has went on with my tank. I am learning and trust me when I say I've learned my lesson.
My 14 year old son has aquariums at his Dad's(fresh and salt) and wanted one here. I always admired them and thought I would love saltwater and figured it would be a nice hobby for us to do together. We set up our 55 gallon a couple months ago. All seemed to be going well with it, at least I think. The fish were doing good, but we weren't testing the water. I know, first mistake. My know it all teenager said his saltwater at his dads has been going for a year and they have never tested water. See, I was pretty much leaving this up to him to teach me.
On April 20th we did a 20% water change. On April 21st everything(about 200 dollars worth of fish) was dead. Another lesson learned, don't stock the tank with a bunch of expensive fish right away. After everything was dead, I found out my son cleaned our water change bucket with my Lysol bathroom cleaner. This is when I took charge and started reading and doing my research. I am testing the water frequently now and keeping a log. On April 22nd I added a piece of live rock and we cleaned the filter and media. Between then and May 8th my ammonia has been 0.25 to 1.0, the nitrite has been 5.0, and nitrate has been 5 to 80.
Since the bathroom cleaner tank crash, I have been adding buffer to raise th PH which I had up to 8.0. Ammo lock to neutralize the ammonia and stress zyme to help boost the cycle. We also began adding some inexpensive damsels.
On May 8th, ammonia 5.0, nitite 5.0, nitrate 40, and Ph 8.0.
May 9th damsels were gasping at top of water. All levels the same except ammonia jumped to 3.0. By evening damsels dead.
So now, today, I am back to an empty tank. Ammonia has skyrocketed up to 8.0, nitrite 2.0, nitrate 40, and PH 7.8.
Aside from just being patient and letting things cycle, is there anything else I should be doing? Is the bathroom cleaner incident still messing up my tank or is it just really starting to cycle now?

Your tank is in the middle of a cycle. Do not add any more animals (you should not have added the damsels after your other fish died). You have to wait until your parameters are safe before you can consider adding anything. Parameters that high are deadly to everything.

Keep in mind, the stocking capacity of a 55 gallon tank is about 6 fish. Those fish should be added about 3 to 4 weeks apart from each other -- never all at the same time.

And live rock is going to be your main (and best) source of filtration. You should have 1 to 2 lbs of live rock per gallon. If you only have one piece of live rock, you don't have enough. The live rock is where the bacteria that keep your ammonia and nitrite down will live. Without that surface area to colonize, you don't have the bacteria you need in the tank, and you can't keep your parameters where they should be.

It's good that you are now testing regularly, are doing research to understand what the numbers mean, and are taking things slow now. I would stop adding buffer. Stop adding ammo lock. Stop adding stress zyme. Let the tank cycle naturally now. I doubt the lysol is still messing with the tank. It was probably a combination of A) lysol, B) overstocked with too many fish, C) stocked too fast with fish, and D) lack of live rock that led to the initial tank crash.

+1 Bifferwine. Let the tank cycle and keep testing the water. In the meantime, do your research. Read all the stickies around the forum and feel free to ask questions when you have them. :D

Thanks, I feel much better now. I was thinking to just keep letting it cycle, but wanted to make sure. I know, I know, I gotta get live rock. Waiting for payday! I've been looking at sites, any suggestions on where to find the best deal? I am just running a canister now, waiting on payday to also get a skimmer and wavemaker.

It's fine to add equipment and rock gradually, as you can afford it. This hobby can be expensive, and almost all of us have had to budget rather than buying everything at once. You don't need a wavemaker -- that's a completely optional piece of equipment that won't accomplish much on a tank the size of a 55. You do need two powerheads to create water movement. Maxi Jets are very affordable (in the $20 range) and Hydor Koralias are also good (in the $40 range). Add live rock as you can afford it as well. After you get a few pieces of live rock, you can save money by adding dry rock after that. Dry rock costs much less than live rock, and it will become live rock over time when it's in the same tank as live rock.

You can go to places like MarcosRocks and buy dry rock. Then you either go to a local fish store that sells live rock (do some googling so you know what healthy live rock looks like, a lot of stores sell very low quality rock at VERY inflated prices) and you can then seed this dry rock with a few pieces of good live rock.

The ratio that many will suggest when using this method is 1 pound of live rock to 10 pounds of dry rock. Over time, the live rock will seed the dry rock and it will become live

Also, seperate any buckets/tools/utensils that will be used with the fish tank. They should be cleaned with a vinegar/water solution only - NOTHING else

My last piece of advice is to go out and get a copy of The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner - its pretty much the bible of this hobby and it will have all kinds of useful information for you

Welcome to the site

lets just say if the store sells you liverock @ 15.99 lb... Run...run far, far away lol.

Just let the tank cycle through, you dont need any more chemicals. Take this time to carefully plan out your stocking list. Make sure their compatability matches up as well. You dont want to buy another 200$ worth of fish and only end up with one fat fish.

This hobby can be a very expensive and slow, but i assure you if you do things right, the payoff will be very well worth it :)

Also coming from someone who was once a know-it-all teenager, we have no idea what were talking about :) I had about 300ish freshwater fish and bettas as a teen, only to find out years later that i was doing EVERYthing wrong lol.

Check out places like craigslist and local reefer forums to make purchasing some of this stuff a little easier on the wallet! ;)

Buying 2nd hand is always much better on your wallet compared to some of the new inflated prices.
And most of the stuff people sell are still in fantastic condition.
Being new, I would not buy from some1 that does not look like they take good care of their equipment (rusted or w/e it may be). Too risky.
Salt creep is ok and cleans off easy =P

Last edited:
Back