chilller

imdaring

love my reef
Im looking for a chilller I have a 90 gal tank with a 55 gal sump, not looking to spend a big chunk of money

I know they are a pricey machine. right now I have a clip fan and then a long tank fan with 4 fans on it but I cant keep my tank temp down it seems to stay right around 82deg do you think thats to high for a coral reef tank with fish

as long as it's steady at 82, then it's fine. Both my tanks run at 81-82 since they were set up.

Only you know if you truly need a Chiller or not. If the fans can't keep your tank temp down then you may want one. In my case, summer time here means Chiller time. My house heats up beyond belief and no about of fans will help. I would suggest a 1/5 HP in-line Chiller. Check Craigslist, and your local reeling forums for deals. I just picked up another to replace the drop in style I had.

Minnesota weather is SOOO unpredictible one day its 95+ the next it can be -50 so its hard to keep the temp at a steady temp I did find a small chiller/heater combo on ebay but its only rated for 12 gal

My tank had a temp swing of 3-4 degrees on a normal day with my drop in chiller. When it gets hot here, my house becomes an oven, and the tank would heat up above 82. With the in-line I just got, it stays at a constant 79, no matter what. Now my house is old, so it has single panned windows, and no freaking insulation, thus the need for a chiller here. I tried the fan route, both on the tank, and on the sump (at the same time) and could not control my temp. This is why I say "only you know" if a chiller is needed for your system.

Back