chipmunkofdoom2's 29g EXTREME RENOVATION!

Tank Building Phase 2

Phase 2: The Legs

Okay, so today I slapped together the legs. The joint between the frames is hard to describe, so view the pics!

001mx0.jpg

Okay, so here is where I left off, with the bottom and top frame.

002nu8.jpg

Time to mark where I'm cutting the notch.

003oy0.jpg

Then, cutting the notch

004al8.jpg

Horray, one of 4 done!

005ia1.jpg

Okay, now that they're all finished, it's time to attach them to the other boards.

006xs0.jpg

I'm using the same dowel-glue-screw method I used for the middle support of the top frame. Measuring where to drill...

007yb8.jpg

Drilling...

008nd9.jpg

Adding glue and dowels.

009bg4.jpg

Then screwing the pieces together!

010ro8.jpg

All finished legs... and my dog, haha.

Okay, so I made crappy cuts and I need to file them down a bit before they'll fit together as well as I'd like, so for now I'm just kinda setting up the pieces as they're eventually gonna be.

011lt4.jpg

012dr5.jpg

013dg2.jpg

I may do the filing tonight, I may not.. I haven't decided yet, haha.

Thanks guys. The plans I saw on another site did the same thing for the legs, except they used a 4x4 and just cut the notch out of it instead of fabricating the legs out of 2x4s. I thought about that, but my dad's saw really blows, so I figured this should work just as well.

Your making it look too easy. It'll be one sturdy stand when you finish. I like the way you posted step by step photos.

Thanks piggy! I've been trying to make it sort of a basic how-to.. like, I didn't post all the details like what went wrong and how I corrected it and little hangups I got stuck on, but I figured it would be more than enough if someone else wanted to give it a shot.

It's definitely been time consuming, what with me splitting a board and having to redo some stuff and with my limited supply of tools, but I think it's going to turn out okay.

Phase 3: Assembling the Skeleton

Okay so this morning I slapped together what I've dubbed the "skeleton" and let me tell you, what a pain in the ass!!

First things first, I had to put a couple spare piece of wood in between the legs so they'd stand still while I was screwing them in.

001uu8.jpg

002gf3.jpg

So then I pretty much added the wood glue, predrilled, and screwed them in place.

003np2.jpg

After I did that with all 4 of those S.O.Bs... :frustrat:

004tv4.jpg

Time to slather some glue on the the notches and put the top frame on.

005fu9.jpg

Then predrill and drill and...

FINISHED!!
006up4.jpg

007sr7.jpg

Now time to cover it up with some plywood.. I'm not sure how to do all that, but I'm drawing up some plans and I'll keep you guys updated.

Looks good! Just measure real well before cutting the plywood.
Put the sides on first, flush with the front and back.
Then when you cut/install the front, cover the edges of the plywood on the sides so it looks clean from the front. Use finishing nails to attach to the frame.

Are you doing doors or something on the front?

Yeah, I'm doing doors.. I'm trying to work up something with molding to make the corners rounded on the stand. We'll see though, I need to go to Home Depot to see what kind of wood I can get for it.

I'd like to have both the front and side pieces of plywood flush, and then get something like 1/4 circle molding to put in between.. kinda hard to describe, but it will make the corners rounded if I do it correctly. Then I'll probably fill the holes with filler and sand then paint it.

Thanks a lot for all the kind comments guys :mrgreen:

I'm kinda stuck on the doors. I know how I want to make them, but the design I'm basing my stand off of was much different proportionately.. it was shorter than mine and longer, so my doors are going to be kind of tall. I just don't want them to look goofy.. oh well. I'm just going to focus on covering her up at this point.

As for the finish, I was leaning toward painting it black because my tank has black trim and I don't plan on getting a hood for it, so I think it would look goofy if I stained it. Any input?

Wow that doesn't look to bad man. I may do that. I dunno, I'm still a long way from being done. We'll see what I'm feeling like. My stand currently is black and I think it looks good, so I'm probably just gonna stick with the black.

Back