Chocolat chip starfish

Nemo2010

Reefing newb
Hey guys. I cam home today and noticed that my starfish had broken off a couple of its "spikes" not legs but spikes it had. Its still moving around and seems happy just wondering what to do. Are they going to turn into startfish or whats going on lol. Let me knoww hat you think.

RO/DI Salt water mix. using instant reef. I also add liquid trace minerals after the water change and once a week to replace whats been depeted.

When the points fall off that`s usually a bacterial infection that can be corrected by frequent PWC`s and pristine water parameters.

I got a chocolate chip a while back and noticed his spikes disappeared after a few days too...but that was because my hermit was eating him, spikes first :shock:

They're not as "spikey" as you would think...notice any fish picking on/at your star?

no nothing pics at it wondering if maybe the water change stressed it out. I just added trace minerals to help out as well.

Water changes shouldn't stress it out, I had one live in a 5g bucket for 2 months with nothing by a powerhead...

Are you testing for trace elements? Those should be replaced by frequent water changes(That is what the WC is for).

Back