CHoosing new skimmer

bhill27

Reefing newb
I just got my sump built for my 120, i have the red sea prizm skimmer rated for 100 gallon and was just going to hang it on the sump, then i thought to my self i dont think this skimmer is big enough, what is a good in sump skimmer for a 120 that isnt huge?, the chamber it would go in is about 8 inches wide, unless i could put it in the refugium chamber?

to me bigger is always better as far as a skimmer goes.. I dont believe it would be big enough either .. economical skimmer I have used for years are the coralife needle wheel..

i know bigger would be better, but i need it to fit in the chamber i have for it, i havnt completed the whole sump yet so i could make the refugium part less long, i have it at 13 inches long now which is goin to leave me with 8 inches for next chamber

the one I use for a 150 gal tank is the 200 gal coral life skimmer and it is about 7 inch wide maybe just a little under that.. should have no trouble fitting it in the sump :mrgreen:

The Red Sea Prizm skimmer is okay for small tanks, 30 gallons or less IMO. You should definitely get a better one for a tank your size.

Back