Cin

Trying to get my reef tank going and having a hard time at it! They have this new 7 day bacteria and it doesn't seem like it is working???

Welcome aboard.
Make a trip to wal-mart and get some raw table shrimp.
Throw one in the tank and cook the rest.:D

Thanks for all the great feedback! I need some help. I do not know what I need to gear the bacteria in my 55 g. How do I know when it is up to par? Thanks Cin

You monitor the progress of the bacterial cultures by testing for the stuff they produce. When you start cycling your tank with live rock, begin doing some basic water chemistry tests-- specifically, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. You should see an increase in ammonia, followed by nitrite, and finally nitrate. You'll know the cultures are established when there is no ammonia or nitrite anymore, and low nitrates.

Do you have a test kit? You need one that at least tests ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph, and make sure you use drops, NOT test strips. the one I use is API. It has all those. You can get them at any fish store, or at petsmart or petco

I also suggest you start a new thread in the newbie section :D You'll get more people seeing your questions :D

Yes, just throw a raw shrimp into the tank and let it degrade. But a test kit and test for ammonia and nitrates/nitrites. Once they zero out you are ready for fish.

Back