Circulation Pumps

tritan

Reefing newb
What GPH would you choose for 2 circulation pumps in a 110 gallon tank? I was thinking 2 Hydor Koralia Evolution 750's. Would you suggest a better brand or would those be good for my setup.

yes even with the returns I would still go with the 1400's.. If they are truly returning at 600 each that would give you just under 40x per hour which will be fine, will allow you to go SPS corals down the road if you chose too..

What do you guys mean by 20-40x tank volume? I have a 26gallon bow front tank with a 425gph Koralia circulation and wave pump. Is that good for my tank? Also, how should I mount this? I have it mounted on the back side of my tank, close to the top and it points downward towards the front of the glass. Is that good?

20 to 40 times simply means that if you have a 26 gallon tank you want to turn that tank over 520 to 1040 gph.... The lower end if you are going to keep soft corals and some LPS if you want to take your hand at SPS corals down the road you want to be closer to the 40.. PLacement is fine for the powerhead but I would think about throwing one more in, just make sure you have a good ripple at the surface of the water to help with gas exchange..

Last edited:
OK thanks for that. So I should get another one and place it i the same location but put it higher in the tank so that it gets a ripple at the surface as you say?

Is the word powerhead interchangeable with circulation and wave pump?

No, there's a difference, but we usually call them all powerheads. Or at least I do, and I know of many who do.

I would place it on the opposite side, but still on the back or side.

Back