Clam help

Bifferwine

I am a girl
I got those two new clams a few weeks ago. One of their mantles has been slowly bleaching (it's on the bottom, on the sand bed) and now is retracting it's mantle all the time. All my other clams are doing fine, and have always done fine (I've had some of them for a really long time).

I've tried positioning it in different light intensities, with nothing helping. Should I move it up even higher, onto the rocks? Dunno, maybe I just got a dud, a lemon, a flop!!

Is it a crocea? They do like very intense light, more so than any other clam.
Any signs of pyramid snails on it?

It's a crocea. No signs of any parasites. Today it's opened up a bit and is looking better, but it's still bleached... I'll let it sit for a few more days before I move it again.

Make sure your iodine/iodide, calcium, magnesium, strotium/ molydeum are all good. start the clam on the bottom and work it up higher. if the clam is under 3 inches the less you mess with it the better. do you have a six line in the tank. good luck, all you can do is wait and see. do not shade it, too little light is one of the reasons they will bleach and be careful while the clam has white/clear areas do not photo shock it. if you would like more on this let me know. The six line is for small parasitic drill snails that feed on clams by drilling through the shell. maybe something irritated it like a crab. if you put something hard under the clam say about 1 inch below the sand and place the clam over it, the clam should dig down and attach to the rock or what ever. or, it you put it higher it will attach if it is happy. give the clam a week to 10 days to adjust to the light after a move. try to get your clam in its final place with 3 moves if possible.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I have a sixline. My nitrates are now around 25, and I'm still doing daily water changes to lower them further. I'll test for all the stuff that jhnrb recommended too. This is a big clam, at least 6 inches across.

clams can be testy Biff. I had a crocea doing great for weeks and then, out of no where, the mantle just started pulling off the shell. After a week of looking like crap, I took it out, not wanting it to pollute my water. Give it a week and see. If it keeps getting worse, sacrifice it to the dumpster-gods

-Doc

If I said yes, all of you would feel guilty for not voting for Clamantha in the POTM. But no, it's actually Clamantine that's not doing so well... Clamille and Clamelia are doing fine. All my clams are girls. How fitting.

I dont think I would want clam-idia in my tank or anywhere else for that matter! Clamuel L Jackson would be a BADASS clam if you had him

In the wild, crocea's are found on the rocks. Concidering you had the clam on the sand bed could be the problem.

Back