Clams

Croceas, derasas and maximas are probably the easiest. All clams need good lighting. If you buy a crocea, don't buy one that's less than 3 inches long. They are harder when they are small like that.

1 Yellow Tang
1 Yellow Bellied Blue Hippo Tang
1 Hawaiian Flame Angel
1 Three Striped Damsel
1 Maroon Clown
1 Dragon Goby
2 Blue Damsels
1 Red Bali Star
1 Emerald Crab
1 Sally Lightfoot Crab
1 Sea Hare

I have a Derasas Clam and I'm far from an expert. I did get a smaller one...maybe 3"? and it died. Then I got a nice big one...maybe 6"? and it has always done very well. My advice?...get a nice big one if you can...the little ones are still finicky. :)

The derasa and squamosa(sp) are the two easiest that require the least lighting. The #1 mistake people make with them is moving them after they have been situated for a few days...they'll attach their foot to something, and when you move them, their foot can become damaged, causing them to die.

I have a maxima. Got it about two months agoe, have noticed it laying down new shell already. It is doing very well.

What I did was let it attach to a pice of rock just a bit larger than itself. Then if I need to move it, I will move the whole rock and not mess with the foot.

I'm slowly building up my live rock right now, but as soon as it's done, I'm definitely getting a clam. Thank you all for your advice.

I'm not so sure I agree with that. While little direct care of clams is required --you need to really ensure you have excellent water quality.

Most clams do better with low levels of nitrates. I'm not sure that water quality is as important to them as lighting is.

Back