Clean it up or start over?

Jiggajess

Reefing newb
Im new to the saltwater world and have been reading up but i wonder would it be worth it to clean up this tank or start over? Its a tank im getting. not sure if its good to keep it up and clean it lil by little or start over...Thank u!

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 543
Holy Hair Algae! I'd say (assuming nothing is living in it) empty it. Toss the sand, clean the live rock, get at the least a new bulb for the MH light, and start over with your cycle.

LOL i know right! Well it has a fish in there and live rocks and mushrooms....If there living do u think its worth cleaning lil by lil or tossing and deep cleaning?

Heres an up top pic if that helps. Im wondering if it would be better to slow clean it to the point the stuff wont go into shock, get a new pump, new sand for it but do it in a couple of days span...im at a lose of what to do LOL

Attachments

• reef.jpg
    reef.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 376
It's kinda up to you. I mean, if it was me, and only one fish, I think I'd take the one fish back to the LFS, pull the rock, empty the tank, clean it all, and start over. I really think that doing it little by little would take a long time, but could be done.

Get it. Keep 15 gallons of the old water. When you get it home, rinse out the sand, and try and sbrub as much of the algae off as you can with a tooth brush, or similar plastic tined brush. Put the rock, and the sand back in, fill with water slowly (use the 15 gallons of old water, and 12 gallons of fresh salt water. Clean the entire overflow box/filteration set up, and any equipment like powerheads.

If you decide to put new sand in, then yes, keep the fish at a friends house. If you go that route, scroll up and look at my initial response. The tank will cycle all over again.

Hmmm so many choices! Thank u so much for taking the time to help me out! Ur awesome! I will repost when i get it and decide! thanks again!

if you do go for the deep cleaning go get a cheap toilet brush from a dollar store they are much faster than tooth brushes, and really clean that sucker good look at it this way is it really gonna be so much harder to just start the tank over super clean and fresh, or try to salvage it and fight the algea and what ever else is in that abused tank?

Yeah after thinking about it over nite, i think i would rather start fresh and not have to deal with problem after problem trying to get this going again and this poor fish! He can hang in a buddys tank I can wait for it to cycle and ill be happier with the results if I start with a fresh start. Thanks u guys for all ur help, where would i be without ya!

+1 with Fast

The fish looks like a damsel anyway...Best bet, is to drop him off at your buddie house, and never go back to pick him up!:D

Back