Clean Up Crew Numbers

Shep

Reefing newb
Hey,

So I was wondering how big should my clean up crew be for my tanks, one is a 55 gallon and the second is a 26 gallon. If there some kind of rule of thumb for how many you should have in relationship to the number of fish that I have?

Thank!
-Tom

What are some good ideas for a CuC and numbers for them? I usually just get your typical snails and hermit crabs.

Dwarf ceriths, ceriths, nerites, nassarius, astreas and no hermits. Maybe a couple emerald crabs if you have bubble algae.

I don't trying to put rules of thumb on CUC's. Mainly because every tank is different and therefore has different needs.
What I normally tell my customers, is to add the CUC a few at a time. You want just enough to keep up with the chores and no more. If you add too many, and they get the tank spotless, then animals start starving and you'll lose money.
I'd say to add 4-5 of different critters until there is just enough to keep the tank clean.

Thanks for the ideas and info, also does anyone know a good CuC member that is good for cleaning the sides of the tanks or should I just take care of that myself with a scrapper?

I like astreas, they've always done good for me. Ceriths and dwarf ceriths will to a degree, but they'll stay mostly on, in and around your rocks keeping them clean.

Ceriths stir the sand a bit too which I like. I have Astraeas, ceriths and a few nassarius snails. Also two brittlestars, one black and one fancy pink, several micro brittles and a skunk cleaner shrimp. I've gone to a hermit crab free tank myself as well. I had a few emerald crabs in there for bubble algae but I haven't had good luck with emeralds for whatever reason. I buy a few at a time as I see the need for a specific cleaner.

Back