Cleaner Shrimp and UV advise

beancntr

Back into Salt
What are the best cleaner shrimp to get? How many?

And are UV steralizers really beneficial? I've been reading up on equipment and don't really know if this is something I should have or save my $$$.

I dont know much about shrimp though I do know that I have seen some beautiful aquariums that house coral banded and pepperment shrimp.
As for UV sterilizers if you have the money for it then I haighly recommend it I have one on my 125 and it looks awesome.

I think that a cleaner shrimp (or two) would be an invaluable addition to a cleaner crew. I also have two peppermint shrimp in my tank, and they are nocturnal so I don't see them very often, but I have them JUST IN CASE I accidentally bring home some nasty anemones. Some have noted that peppermint shrimp are not always reef safe and can pick at polyps, but I have never noticed that of my two. But definitely a cleaner shrimp (but make sure your nitrates are low -- they are kinda expensive).

Biff - do I supplement the shrimp's feeding or will he find enough to munch on? I'm feeding my fish brine in am and mysis in pm. Ammo 0, Trite 0, Trate 0, Ph 8.3, so my readings have been steady for the past month.

the peppermint shrimp Shrimp, also known as the Veined Shrimp, or Caribbean Cleaner Shrimp, is part of the "cleaner" shrimp family, but is considered to be more of a scavenger. Its yellowish white body has several distinctive longitudinal red stripes. The Peppermint Shrimp is sometimes confused with its Pacific cousin, Rhynchocinetes durbanensis, which has a pointed nose and inter-spaced white stripes over its body.
First described in 1850, the Peppermint Shrimp is usually found living in the vertical shafts of the reef, sometimes in the core of the pipe sponges. It is very sociable and will live peacefully with almost all reef inhabitants. On occasion, it has been known to eat the Aiptasia sp. anemone (glass anemone) that are found in the live rock of reef aquariums and on the glass. It will not tolerate copper or high levels of nitrates in the aquarium. It will also require iodine for proper molting of its carapace.

The Peppermint Shrimp species has been successfully bred by commercial fish farms, but it will rarely breed in the average home aquarium.

In addition to what it obtains from scavenging, its diet should consist of most types of prepared foods, and possible pieces of fresh fish.

Wow Jelly! Sounds like you wrote the book on peppermint shrimp :D. About once a week I give my cleaner shrimp some extra "meaty stuff", but it catches food on its own when I feed the fish everyday. He'll jump through the water going after the mysis. As for the peppermint shrimp, I don't feed them anything. I presume they are finding something to eat in there on their own, because they are doing well.

I have alot of time on my hands anytime you want some research done just ask me Ill be more than happy to help you out :D

Believe me Jelly, I've had to do MANY a research paper in my 6 years of college. My claim to fame - a picture of turtle sperm. LOL Thanks for all your help. :)

Jelly,what book you quote that from?

I fed my cleaner the same things my fish ate,mainly Prime Reef from Ocean Nutrition.UV isn't necessary but can be beneficial if you want to go that route.I just recently bought my first UV but haven't hook it up yet.

I kelp cleaner and Band coral together,don't know if peppermint shrimp are safe with them though?I like the Harlequin and Sexy shrimp,but I hear the Harlequin are difficult and may not be reef safe.

Ive got one pepperment in my 30,He'll stay back in the rock untill its feeding time,then he'll climb up to the top of the rock and try to catch bits of food.
I havnt noticed him cleaning any fish,but if I stick my hand close enough to the rock he hides under he will come out and clean my hand.
Had a coral banded shrimp,but it took a liking to yellow polyp flesh,so he got traded.

reeffreak said:
Jelly,what book you quote that from?

I fed my cleaner the same things my fish ate,mainly Prime Reef from Ocean Nutrition.UV isn't necessary but can be beneficial if you want to go that route.I just recently bought my first UV but haven't hook it up yet.

I kelp cleaner and Band coral together,don't know if peppermint shrimp are safe with them though?I like the Harlequin and Sexy shrimp,but I hear the Harlequin are difficult and may not be reef safe.
Dr's Foster and Smith liveaquaria.com

No I started to head that route however I could only do a portion here in tennessee then I had to transfer to Florida or Washington. And now Im thinking about it again.

beancntr if you have a peppermint shrimp in your tank and you are getting a cleaner shrimp keep a eye on it because my cleaner just ate my peppermint today when he was molting

margaritaville said:
I think my cleaner shrimp ate my pepperment shrimp!

you are not the only one who had their cleaner eat there pepper mint shrimp.today my peppermint shrimp was molting and he got eaten:death:

Back