Cleaner Shrimp

Piggy

Reef enthusiast
This really suck mine died today. I've been having trouble with my temp. Do you think this killed it? How long do they usually live?

Sweet, I get to say it first. Are you sure it's not a molt? Molts can look surprisingly exact to the shrimp. That aside, yes temp swings can cause its death. What type of swing are we talking about though? I think I read that they can live for a couple years at the least, not 100% on that though, Id have to find where I read that again.

I'm 100% sure it died. I had my temp stable at 76 throughout the summer. Now that it's getting colder it dropped down to 74. But then I turned my heater up and it jumped to 82. Yep I know not good. The only other thing that doesn't look good is my fox coral. Plus I had some snail die. I'm assuming it's from the temp swing also.

I have had mine for about a year now, however have added 2 to my tank since then and both died. I think it was actually the angelfish or brittlestar that killed the other shrimp but not sure. sorry to hear that happened i know you were debating over shrimp or corals and decided on shrimp due to $ and now you are left with nothing. Its really a sad deal.

The temp change was gradual. I also found out that my digital thermometer was wrong.
I hooked up my reefkeeper and it's temp reads 8 degrees higher. So I guess my temp has been off for awhile.

74 to 82 wouldn't of killed it unless the temperature rose very fast.MY current cleaner has been with me since Mar. '06.I had one in the past that lived for 5+ years.Maybe you bought an elderly cleaner.

How would you know the age of one? By size?

I just put one of these guys in my DT last night. They are really neat looking. He was not in there ten minutes, and my sailfin came over to investigate, and the shrimp started working on him. It was really cool watching how the tang trusted the shrimp.

Back