Cleaning dry rock

lilmatty5dimes

Reef enthusiast
I just bought 80lbs of dry rock for $25 and its a lil dirty. Do i just wash and rinse with water? does it have to be RO/DI or just straight out of the faucet?
when adding it to my tank is there anything i should do not to cause a cycle or anything? thanks for the advice.

You can use tap water. Shake the rocks off so there's minimal water leftover on them. It won't be enough to make a difference in your tank. It won't cause a cycle; just try to minimize the muck and gunk you stir up in the tank.

Dry rock wont cause a cycle. There is no dead stuff on the rock to cause one. I would rinse it off in either a bucket of old tank water of just out of the garden hose.

As long as you don't stir up the sand and tank too much, it wont cause a cycle either.

thats what i thought just wanted to make sure. thanks you 2. looking over the rock some of the pieces are awesome looking. makes me wish i had then when setting up the tank.

Depends what type of dryrock it is. If it's the quarried type from florida there's nothing dead on it to cause a cycle. If it came from the ocean, & was then dried, like fiji or pukani rock for example it could cause a cycle.

Ok it's rocks some1 had in a tank but he tore it down. I take it since it was once live I'll have to boil it then. If I boil it how long should i do it for?

Back