cleaning equipment?

jermpool

NAAO President
I was going through my stuff and found a water pump from one of my old skimmers. I filled the sink up with water to see if it still worked and it did but you could see an oily substance coming off of it. I was just wandering what I could use to clean it up so it could be used in a tank again.

P.S. Yes jellyman I found the one that I thought I gave you. Now we just need to get it clean. :bounce:

OMG brother you got me into this hobby and your asking questions like this and I just thought I tought you every thing I know :) go with vinegar if you dont have any I have a bottle at home just like the hydrometer well get it to run then pump vinegar through it for 15 to 30 mins.

P.S. told you I didnt have it. :)

I always used vinegar on freshwater stuff but wasn't sure if it would affect salt water life if you don't get it rinsed well enough.

after you clean it up with 1 part vinegar/3 parts water i would run it for about 24 - 48 hours in a bucket..keep it away from your tank..check for high temps from the pump..if it is a normal temp and no oil is visible i would say give it a shot if you still have an oil slick i would ditch it cause if the pump uses bearings one of the could have a busted seal ...good luck

"My water is looking a little bit cloudy and I don't know what it could be! I've been adding half and half on a regular basis..."

Back