cloudy water- grainny

squid

Reefing newb
I just put water in my tank Saturday, it took the entire day to start clearing. My question is after its cleared up some, my diffuser seems to throw sand or looks like sand, making the water some what cloudy, seems that water is dirty/ grain like and not clear at all.

What can cause this issue? I have a 65g

Ahh, the sand storm does take a while to subside.
Did you premix the salt water yourself? Was the salt dissolved enough? That can cause cloudyness, I know it did for me. Most people mix it in a container for 24 hours.
I am not sure how a skimmer is supposed to react to sand settling, I mean, I don't know if you want to be running the skimmer while waiting for everything to settle? I'm sure someone knowledgeable about skimmers/diffusers will chime in.

The sand will take a couple days to settle. If your running a skimmer I would shut it off. I assume you you have no biological load, fish wise. So there no for it to remove so there's no point in running it.

I dont have a protein skimmer, am I suppose to have one? At the moment, I only have a super basic setup. I called Marineland and they told me my intake pipe is too low and its suckign sand.

I'd definitely recommend a protein skimmer, its one of the most effective forms of filtration available today. Though there is a good thread on here about an algae scrubber which is a most lower cost and very effective filtration choice (but requires a sump).

And actually, I don't believe you want to be running an airline diffuser in a saltwater tank but I'll someone else chime in on the why.

And actually, I don't believe you want to be running an airline diffuser in a saltwater tank but I'll someone else chime in on the why.

I have a canister filtration for now and that is out line with a directional diffuser.

What are you planning on keeping? I don't want to be a Debbie Downer but I'm not sure how well that stock Marineland tank is going to work out. I looked at that option when I started as well, since it says it can be used for saltwater. The biowheel filtration and the lights are not suitable for a reef tank though; they are meant for freshwater.
If you have the stock lights you won't be able to keep corals, which may not sound like a big deal right now but a few months from now you might be bummed. Hopefully someone here has experience with this setup and can chime in how they have made it work for them.
Back when I was researching this tank it appeared that people would buy the upgraded lights, about 150 from amazon; and get rid of the biowheel and run a skimmer....

What are you planning on keeping? I don't want to be a Debbie Downer but I'm not sure how well that stock Marineland tank is going to work out. I looked at that option when I started as well, since it says it can be used for saltwater. The biowheel filtration and the lights are not suitable for a reef tank though; they are meant for freshwater.
If you have the stock lights you won't be able to keep corals, which may not sound like a big deal right now but a few months from now you might be bummed. Hopefully someone here has experience with this setup and can chime in how they have made it work for them.
Back when I was researching this tank it appeared that people would buy the upgraded lights, about 150 from amazon; and get rid of the biowheel and run a skimmer....

I dont have a biowheel, I have a canister, i dont know how much different it is, but whatever for now.

As for marine life at the moment, I WILL not be having any corals at the moment. Just fishes and rock just like I habe now minus the fishes.

Lighting, I plan to upgrade within 5 mionths or so.

I believe the airline diffuser can cause a micro bubble problem. Anyone out there using one?
I see on another thread people advised you to not use a canister filter and get a protein skimmer. Good advice. People on here are great and can save you a lot of headaches...

i use a canister filter just for my phosphate removers and works well but i removed all filtration in the canister except matrix and is clean every 3-5days

as of now, I did some extensive research online before I came to a conclusion.

when I first started the filter I know I put the sand first then the water, I guess while the sand everywhere my filter sucked a load of sand and that is why its throuwing this grainy substance. I am going to remove the canister today to clean it.

All fixed, I opened and cleaned my canister, it had some sand in it. Also I took the time and cleaned the filters as well beasue I wanted to make sure I removed all th sand so it does not happen again.

Now I have too much current causing errosion in my tank.

Back